it's always something!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 11:15   #1 (permalink)
markelemon

it's always something!!

Hello. I have a problem. My headlights only work when I have the high beams on. I was told it was a headlight relay going bad. I have looked in the owners manual and my Chilton's...but I can't find which relay is the correct one. Thank you in advance.
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 11:34   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: it's always something!!

Take it you tested the bulbs ?
R.S.LOGAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 23:27   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

If I'm not mistaken, the headlight relays are located in the LCM (Lamp Control Module), under the dash, above the accelerator pedal area. I've read you can have these relays inside the LCM replaced by an electronics expert such as a radio repair technician, or replace the whole unit.

Maybe Bert will check in soon and shed some light on this issue.

After further reading, this may be for the automatic headlights only. If yours doesn't have this option, don't put 100% faith in this until someone can verify the info.

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:49   #4 (permalink)

My old wagon had the same problem..bought a headlight switch from ebay and never had another issue with the lights. My wagon however, was a 1984 and was far less electronically advanced than today's cars, and was therefore much easier to diagnose/repair.
00Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 15:47   #5 (permalink)

You could have trouble either at the multifunction switch or your LCM. The LCM's were really prone to failure in the 03-05 model years. The relays can and do fail in the older ones, but they don't fail nearly as often. The LCM is behind the dash and over the gas pedal and it's a little black box. When you turn your headlights on, you should listen for the relays to click in that box. You can do some diagnostics on your own to try and give you a clue of what you need to replace. Turn the headlight switch on and verify that your low beams aren't working. Then give the LCM a smack and see if they turn on. As crude as it is, it's generally been a pretty good way to diagnose the LCM.
no_common_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71