Just bought a '99 Grand Marquis off Ebay - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 16:21   #1 (permalink)
Junior Herb

Question Just bought a '99 Grand Marquis off Ebay

I won the bid at $800

The car has over 240k miles on it. The owner said they've done routine maintenance checks. The sticker in the windshield tells me as much. The Plastic intake looks like it was replaced... All the bolts around and on the intake has been removed at least once. I asked about it and they told me they were the second owners and didn't touch the intake.

Now for the bad.

The car has a dent in the back quarter panel where the guys wife backed up into a pole. One reason they let it go so cheap. Here's a pic;

Also the car has a nasty misfire! it shakes the car like the transmission is slipping when driving.. at least I hope its not the transmission.

With the hood open and car idling I can see the engine shake like one of the spark plugs are not firing, also you can hear misfire through the muffler. So I bought a whole 8 COPs online(should have them next week) and Autolite sparkplugs non-platinum, just regular plugs .

Do you guys think I diagnosis this right?
ToxicAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 17:09   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Just bought a '99 Grand Marquis off Ebay

The misfire will more than likely be fixed with what you're going to do. Make sure to use anti-sieze on the plugs and use a torque wrench. To tight and when the aluminum cyl. heads strech, they can pul the threads. The fuel filter should be replaced too. Nice car.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 17:42   #3 (permalink)
Junior Herb

Yeah, I replaced the Fuel filter and the PCV yesterday.

I got most of the dent out myself by placing a jack in the truck and leveling it against the other side of the car. With a long pipe and a piece of 2x4 wood I manage to press a lot of the dent out.

If the misfire turns out to be cause of the car shudder. I will begin to pour more cash into it.
Old 10-10-2009, 17:56   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The first time I tried to take a dent out, I started at the deepest part of the dent and stretched the metal. Since then I learned to start at the shallow part and work my way in. I actually learned that from a body man.
Old 10-10-2009, 18:47   #5 (permalink)
Junior Herb

Is there a way to fix the wipers from stopping in up position? The wiper motor itself seems fine.
Old 10-10-2009, 20:17   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I think the piece that mounted on the motor would cause trouble. I forgot what we used to do. There was a problem with the motors themselves, but I don't think it was that new of a car. Can you push it down to where it belongs?
Old 10-10-2009, 21:56   #7 (permalink)
Junior Herb

No, I haven't tried that... I've seen a few Crown vics/Marquis with there wipers up like this. If it was that easy to fix I wouldn't be riding around like that.

My old man '92 Marquis had the same issue. I googled this a little and read there was a adjustment on the motor to bring it back down... but this was on another brand car. I did took off the cover that was over the wiper motor to see if there were.. didn't see anything.

I've been reading this forum quite a lot the past few days, learned a lot. I was going to pay a repair shop over $100 to replace my COP and Plugs but after reading here how easy it was, and that I don't have to take off the fuel rails I'm going to do it myself!

Question.. When you turn on the ignition and see the dash icons light up, where is your battery volt hand located. I want to see if I need a new battery. It cranks the car okay and everything but it looks very old, has lots of corrosion.
Old 10-10-2009, 22:21   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You really can't rely on that gauge to see what life the battery has. Most parts stores will test it for free. As far as the corrosion, if you let the engine idle and run water on the posts very slow, the corrosion will go away and leave a very clean post. You still need to remove the cables to clean the post but that makes it so much nicer.

The older Crown Vics had wiper motor problems and on the newer ones, like yours, it's rare. You might still have to replace the motor.
Old 10-10-2009, 23:46   #9 (permalink)
Junior Herb

I see. Well the motors go for $20 - $50 on Ebay.. so it isn't too bad.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:39   #10 (permalink)

Hi - I had the same wiper problem in my '99 CV. Just replace the wiper motor and they should function normally.
dcspo5073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71