Just got a 96 CV with a few bugs, need help! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 03:27   #1 (permalink)

Just got a 96 CV with a few bugs, need help!

I just picked up a 1 owner 96 CV LX, motor runs strong with good power but it has a few bugs, first I noticed that the cruise control does not come on at all, nothing on the dash and it won't set, second it only seems that the drivers window controls are the only ones that will role the windows up and down, and no the window lock is not on, LOL! also the passengers side rear door won't open from the inside, and yes the child locks are off, also the rear drivers side door window will not go up and down, I can hear the motor working but no movement, and last on the dash it says to check the air ride but it is not sagging in the rear, the place I bought it from sent it to a shop because it was when I first looked at it, is there a way to get the air ride to just inflate and stay inflated?

Answers to any of my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Curtis
abadk9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 20:44   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Just got a 96 CV with a few bugs, need help!

Cruise: | Repair Guides | Cruise Control | Cruise Control | AutoZone.com
Windows, probably the master lock out switch: http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...52801e4c3a.gif
For the other door\window issues, you'll have to pull the door panels off and take a look. Hopefully someone else can help you with the air ride, I'm not finding a lot on it.
Old 09-20-2013, 22:24   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Cat, now if I only knew how to read and understand the electrical schematic you linked me to, LOL!!!!
abadk9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:12   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

You have a laundry list of problems, but I will try to address those which I am familiar with. Taken one-at-a-time, they should be easy to fix.

Start with Cat's advice, but disconnect the battery first, then be careful removing the switch escutcheon plate on the door. The plastic tabs are easily broken. I usually gently pry them from the front. Sometimes spraying the switches with WD 40 is all it takes, but once removed, you can test the switches with an ohm meter and the problem should become obvious.

Your driver's side rear window most likely has a broken cable or plastic attachment point where the cable connects to the window. If broken, you will need a new window regulator. The problem will become evident when you remove the door panel, and replacement is straight forward. You will need a pop riveter, or alternately, use self locking hardware to replace the pop rivets you must drill out to make the repair.

This would also be a good time to check the child locks. I don't have much experience with these, but I did have the plastic tab brake on one and it caused the same symptom as yours. The door lock mechanism must be removed for the repair, but this is also an easy repair once you have diagnosed the problem.

It is normal to hear the motor run periodically in a properly running air spring system and there is no way to get your air ride to stay inflated unless the system is operating properly. Try turning the switch (in the trunk) off overnight, then turn it back on and see what happens. If the motor runs and the bags inflate, then the system is, at least, working. Next, check all electric connections for continuity. Don't forget to check the air spring valves and ride height sensor connections too.

Get back to us, let us know what you have found, and we can go from there.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71