K&N Cold Air Intake Issue, 09' Interceptor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 15:55   #1 (permalink)

K&N Cold Air Intake Issue, 09' Interceptor

Hello, I own a 2009 Interceptor. Recently purchased a K&N Typhoon Series Cold Air Intake for my vehicle. Turns out the part is not compatible with the Interceptor computer. Seems to create problems for the mass airflow sensor. SCT Performance offers a computer programmer for the vehicle, whereby you can load various tunes onto your vehicles computer. I was told one of the tunes should enable the vehicle to accept the new air intake without issues. Also heard the intake might be taking in a little too much under hood air, but I'm pretty sure people in Arizona have K&N intakes and uhh well its hot there. Can anybody shed some light on this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Vinyard
Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 18:57   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: K&N Cold Air Intake Issue, 09' Interceptor

You need a "tune" (reprogram) anytime you change the air or fuel flow characteristics and exceed the parameters entered in the existing ECU program. Look at the good side; at least we no longer have to adjust points.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:27   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Go back to stock. Your engine will only take in the air it needs and have seen more problems than they are worth. Just my .02

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:41   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

I'm not trying to discourage your fun, I don't own anything stock, but I concur with r-clar. The limiting horsepower factor with 4.6 breathing is not the intake, it's the 2 valve cylinder heads. Even the PI heads will not make big power numbers.

Additionally, you are not looking for high RPM horsepower, it takes "tons" of torque to move a heavy Crown Vic. The only way I have seen significant "streetable" power increases in a CV is to build a larger engine.

Cold air intakes work on engines that have restrictive intake flow, but the 4.6 is not one of them. There is always a horsepower "bottle neck" somewhere, either the intake, cylinder heads, cam(s), or exhaust. They all have to work together, and that usually requires major mods and expense. Changing one without the others usually results in a loss of power, especially torque.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:08   #5 (permalink)

I appreciate all the info. Was under the assumption that the intake was an easy, non invasive way of increasing performance. Someone mentioned to me that the issue might be with the fuel injectors being too small. More air means more fuel required. Perhaps the current injectors cannot handle the extra load, so the motor is leaning out.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:04   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Intake mods are an easy way to increase performance in some engines, if the engine can benefit from additional flow in the intake. The 4.6 cylinder heads, not the intake, however, are the bottle neck in a stock engine.

It is torque, not horsepower, that accelerates a car. Horsepower is only a function of torque. You might see a small HP increase with cold air intake and larger injectors at higher RPMs, but will loose torque on the "bottom end". That's OK for a race car that spends it's life in the upper RPM ranges, but not good, in a street driven car, especially a heavy one with stock gearing. (A broader torque band, more time in the "fat range", will also accelerate a vehicle faster, but is too much to talk about in this blog).

I used a stock 4.6 intake, even the stock injectors, on a 5.4 and it made over 320 ft.lbs. of torque and a little over 300 HP on the dyno (RWHP). I didn't need larger injectors (24-30 lbs per hour) until I used a larger throttle body. This was on an engine with Trick Flow heads and cams.

Bottom line; you might impress some kid (sorry kids, not all are the same, my 13 year old knows better) when you open the hood and show off a cold air intake, but it's a waste of money and a source of problems on a stock engine, as you have discovered.

BTW, K&N makes a GREAT product when used properly. Try one of their air filters in a stock intake. You will save money over the long haul with filter replacement and a clean filter will do good things for mileage.
Old 10-28-2013, 14:36   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply brother, that definitely clarified the issue for me. (Someone who is not really a car person). Fortunately my wallet was the only one to suffer for my in-experience! Anyways, there are always willing takers on KIJIJI. Appreciate the info again, all the best. Good drivin.

Regards,

Vinyard
Old 10-28-2013, 14:59   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

I hope we helped. Keep in mind that each car (engine) is different and those experiences only apply to 4.6 two valve engines. Playing around with modifications to your car can be fun, but is usually an expensive hobby that's best left to a car you don't need everyday. A cold air intake PLUS the TUNER from the FRPP catalog made a seat of pants difference on my Shelby, but took a couple of days to sort out. It's a good thing I don't have to rely on it for transportation.

I forgot to ask, but does your car have dual exhaust (HPP equipped)? If it is a single exhaust car, the most bang for your buck would be to start with a more efficient dual exhaust system. You will reap more performance plus gas mileage with a good dual system.

Don't forget that an engine is just an "air pump". The more air you can get into and OUT of an engine, with the proper fuel mixture, the more power it will make. But you must carefully coordinate the mods so they WORK TOGETHER IN YOUR CAR. Think of building a torque "monster" for everyday drivers because you don't drive around at redline on the street.

Hopefully you can recover some of your costs on E-Bay.
Old 10-28-2013, 17:20   #9 (permalink)

Excellent man, would definitely love to have a side project. And yes, my vehicle is equipped with dual exhaust. No resonators.
Old 10-28-2013, 19:21   #10 (permalink)
Moderators

Good move with the resonators! Sweet sound without being obnoxious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71