Latest musings on the Panther from Autoweek - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2005, 07:59   #1 (permalink)

Latest musings on the Panther from Autoweek

Latest musings on the Panther from Autoweek

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis

The future of the automaker's aging rwd Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis sedans is undecided.

Several options are under review: re-engineering and reskinning the cars for the 2009 model year, producing the current cars into the next decade, or letting the cars die at the end of this decade. While the vehicle platform has been re-engineered several times, it dates back to 1978.

If the Grand Marquis is dropped, the automaker could develop a sedan off a stretched version of the fwd D3 platform, sources say. There is no timetable.

Ford was debating whether to shift the two models to the slightly smaller rwd platform used by the Ford Falcon in Australia. But talk of adopting that platform for North America has lessened in recent months."
GMACK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2005, 15:16   #2 (permalink)
That guy

Re: Latest musings on the Panther from Autoweek

If ford drops crown and marq then I'm done with ford's new cars. Even if they base them on small frames (or crapy unibody). I wish some one would hit some of these stupid accountants and designers. It bad anough they turned the mustang into scrap metal, along with the F-150. Is ford on drugs or something? The only thing I've seen from then thats good is the 500, but thats a stupid name...... Name it Crown Victoria :) Also, Crown Victoria started in 1955. 1978 was the first box style. Maybe even before that but I'm not sure. They need to bring back the tourino and ranchero!! Or the other sweet cars of the 70s. Screw this new age bull. My 2 cents worth :)

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 15:53   #3 (permalink)

.......... or they should join this forum and have a look in my gallery , hire me at a ridiculously high salery , let me creat what I want and have them build MY creations without questions what so ever . Is that so much to ask for ? The Ranchero ? Yup did one . A Crown Vic Coupe ? Yuppers , did that too . A Lincoln Town Car hot rod ? Yes , it's there too .

When do pack my bags to move and which is my office ?

frank
Mr. Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 20:57   #4 (permalink)
That guy

Then your new office is in Alaska :) Or move to India and say you where born there :) But you'll get $1.50/hr tho..... :)

Old 09-09-2005, 04:22   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel
Then your new office is in Alaska :) Or move to India and say you where born there :) But you'll get $1.50/hr tho..... :)

Ok , i can move my frozen butt to Alaska as long as I do not have to share the washroom with the local polar bear population . As for my slaery and moving to India , sorry dude but I will need just a teeny weny bit cash than that . I mean c'mon now , if a pro basketball or basebal player can get 20 mil a season to throw the ocasional temet tantrum , I should be worth at LEAST five times that in salery . I can throw temper tantrums way better than any pro athleat . India is not on my list of places to visit however because it's too far from the 7-11 store .

frank
Mr. Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:42   #6 (permalink)
That guy

Well, basket and foot ball players only see about 60% of there money, but even a few mil I'd be happy for a few years one (oh the mods for my crown I could buy :) ). As for 7-11, where you think they can from? Aradia? :)

Old 09-12-2005, 08:47   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Dan

I went over the same thing in the Chevy 9C1 forum. It is a simple fact, the big RWD V-8 cars are a dinosaur just waiting to die. Now don't get me wrong, I love my Caprice and I know you guys love your Crown Vics, but the writing is on the wall. Remember the Mercury Marauder? How big of a flop was that? Chevrolet hit one out of the ball park 10 years ago with the Impala SS. Still that one car could not generate enough excitement to save that line. The marketplace for a big car is shallow, let alone the market for a sport/touring car that size. There is one, very simple reason these cars are going by the wayside...SUV's.

Look at the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300M. The Chrysler has enjoyed very sucessful sales, and I am sure the Charger will follow. The market for a "family car" RWD V-8 looks to being headed towards more of a mid-size vehicle. GM just released the new Monte Carlo and Impala, and the both have an optional 5.3L V-8. Granted, both of those cars are still FWD but it is a step towards the performance that people are looking for in cars in that market segment.

Lets face it boys, the days of big RWD V-8 family cars is over. Again, don't get me wrong, I am not here bashing Ford, or the Crown Victoria. I work on plenty of them, and I drive plenty of them, and it will probably be my next car. People these days want a bigger SUV or a more versitle mini-van. As for the person who said he wants to see an new Ranchero...you got a better chance of seeing a new Edsel.
USAdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 19:33   #8 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

The problem with the"Big Car" platform , such as the RWD Impala SS and its demise is in my opinion, PRICE ALONE. The car was about 32,000 ten years ago and I for one could Not afford it.The same with the Marauder, it was too expensive. If they would wake up and realize that people want a big RWD, but don't(or can't) pay the outrageous prices, and would lower the price to about 20,000 Loaded, then you would see a flood of new car sales. As for the Dodge and Chrysler, I think it is the fact that they're the only ones coming out with a "choice "of RWD V8 cars that makes the difference... and they just happen to be Mid- Sized and around 32,000 for a high end HEMI 300-D
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71