LCMs can be fixed on the cheap! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 17:15   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up LCMs can be fixed on the cheap!

I did my first LCM repair on an 05 Crown Vic for about $20 and that included shipping charges. Mouser.com sells the exact same relays that go bad in your LCM for under $4 a piece. Mouser is fast too. I ordered Friday and had my relays by Monday. The part number for the relay is EQ1-11111S.

If you have some soldering skills, just replace all four of those relays and put your LCM back in the car. I don't have a schematic to isolate which relay does what. But considering I salvaged a $500 LCM for less than $20, there's not much reason not to be proactive and replace all four.

happy happy
no_common_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 17:33   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: LCMs can be fixed on the cheap!

That's great information. Glad you got it fixed.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:24   #3 (permalink)
I'm the Doctor.

It can be 'fixed' even cheaper, and without removing the LCM itself, but you lose some level of functionality in the process.. It involves de-pinning the LCM plugs a bit, using an insulation splitter, and utilizing bits of wire to have two external relays. I only know this because my car currently runs this setup, until I either have the money for new relays that I can install inside my LCM, or figure out a better solution.

If you think your LCM relay replacement is impressive to you... try the headlight relay and wiring upgrade. It gets pricey, upwards of $50 if you have to buy all of the wire, shrink tubing, crimp and heat spades/terminals, and wire conduit... but the relays are $6/ea. from Radio Shack.

The upgrade is well worth the money, however. We all are aware of just how bad the Crown Victoria's headlights perform... this modification that effectively says 'To hell with you, factory wiring harness!', is monumentally brighter.
Old 11-17-2010, 20:50   #4 (permalink)

Im not concerned about modding the LCM's considering how cheap my current fix is. I've been thinking that perhaps most LCM woes come from those who have retired P71 Vics and if that's the case, I definitely can't fault the original relays for failing given their work life. I'd love to see some feedback from members who have replaced or repaired their LCM's and what I would like to know specifically is whether or not your Vic was ever used as a police or other fleet vehicle before you bought it. I'd also like to know some ballpark figure as to how many miles were on your car when the LCM did fail. For what I've seen on my taxis so far, the original LCM relays will typically fail anywhere between 125 and 140K. How did your Vic do?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:00   #5 (permalink)
I'm the Doctor.

Around 177k is when they failed.
Old 12-23-2010, 13:20   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_common_sens View Post
Im not concerned about modding the LCM's considering how cheap my current fix is. I've been thinking that perhaps most LCM woes come from those who have retired P71 Vics and if that's the case, I definitely can't fault the original relays for failing given their work life. I'd love to see some feedback from members who have replaced or repaired their LCM's and what I would like to know specifically is whether or not your Vic was ever used as a police or other fleet vehicle before you bought it. I'd also like to know some ballpark figure as to how many miles were on your car when the LCM did fail. For what I've seen on my taxis so far, the original LCM relays will typically fail anywhere between 125 and 140K. How did your Vic do?

I have a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis and my LCM started failing at 69K miles, so I think that pretty much rules out any effect law enforcement use has on the problem.

Currently I am trying to figure out what to buy to put my headlights on external relays after I fix the LCM. The LCM internal relays will continue to blow if the load isn't relocated.
andrew61987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 14:21   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

They shouldn't continue to blow. The solder connections were bad in those years and that's what caused the problem.
Old 12-28-2010, 00:49   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for your input Andrew. However, I think Bert is right on the money. I've done 5 LCM repairs now and I've noticed consistently that the circuit paths on the boards showed discoloration from being overheated. The overheating happens when the relays are soldered in at the factory and all the LCM's showed the discoloration before I ever soldered in new relays. (not that I didn't burn one or two myself on the first try.) I would think it's entirely possible the overheated soldering is shortening the life span of the relays since the problem isn't P71 or fleet specific. Click on the thumbnail below and you can see how two of the circuit paths are browned out under the relay on the right side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solderburn.jpg (70.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-28-2010, 17:50   #9 (permalink)

I just finished the repair on my LCM tonight. Direct replacement with a new EQ1 relay from mouser. First time I've ever done it, and I have minimal electronics experience. Plugged the LCM back in and everything seems to be working perfectly. Hope it lasts!
andrew61987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 19:31   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's good the hear. Keep us updated.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71