Looking for my next project... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 16:47   #1 (permalink)
Doctor Drag

Looking for my next project...

I've decided that building a 2-door CV will be my next project. I'm a major fox-body guy, but since I moved to SC, I haven't been able to find any...but CV's and GM's seem to be extremely popular here and I've seen a few early 2-doors for sale locally.

I'd like to ultimately end up with a 460 with 4bbl heads and a Victor fuelie intake with fox-body ECU and wiring...it will work if you know what parts to put together. I'd like to run an E40D or 4R100 trans, find or build a stand alone trans controller. Possibly run later model front spindles/brakes to do away with the inner/outter tapered roller bearings and go with a K-code rear....3.55 with traction-lok, I believe?

I'm really curious to find out how different the front sheet metal is between '85 and earlier coupes versus like a '90 model front end.

Fabrication of any sort isn't a problem for me...I'm just trying to get as much information as possible before I buy one of these things...I have a pretty good picture in my mind as to the direction I'd like to go.

Thanks in advance,
Don

Rest In Pieces- '88 T-Bird LX: 5.0 HO + AOD + 3.73's= 14.38 @ 96.7mph
sick88tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 09:37   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Looking for my next project...

I wish I could help but my experience with the cars is repairing only. As for the front fenders, they should be able to bw switched either way with some modification. The doors were the same. We have some great guys in here that know the older stuff pretty good. Might be out for the holiday so hang in there.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 07-05-2010, 20:08   #3 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Looking for my next project...

The 88-91 front clip may require some modification to fit the 79-87 bodies. The rear clip is much different, as the 1/4 panels are different so a taillight or decklid swap would require much more work. They also didn't make 2-door CV's after 87, so no 88-91 2-doors.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 14:48   #4 (permalink)
Doctor Drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
They also didn't make 2-door CV's after 87, so no 88-91 2-doors.
That's why I want to build one....I like the later front-end a lot more.

Rest In Pieces- '88 T-Bird LX: 5.0 HO + AOD + 3.73's= 14.38 @ 96.7mph
sick88tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:54   #5 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

the difference with 87 and older and 88-91 aint much... 88-91 used Grand Marquis hoods from 79 - 91... Crown vics used Grand Marquis hoods on newer box body style... the front fiberglass nose/header and bumpers with rubber were used on 88-91 that is different from older style... the rear is tail lights differences and bumper and rubber pieces that fit over instead of under on older ones... i know a guy that did the 88-91 Grand Marquis setup to his older Grand Marquis 2 door. fenders dont need changed on the car since it is the same

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:25   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

87_Crown_Vic I was hoping you'd pop in for some help. You really know these years.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71