Ford Forums banner

LX Sport?'s

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Bajarider 
#1 ·
hello to everyone, glad to be here!

i just bought what i believe to be an '03 Crown Vic LX Sport (chrome trim version). my first ? is how do i verify that it's a Sport? it has dual exhaust and 3.27 R&P but is there a build code or VIN designation that would tell me for sure?

it has a Z5 axle code which tells me it has the 3.27's w/ conventional (open) carrier. i would like to put a Trac Loc in it, in order to do that i need to know what the spline count is on the axle shafts? i have a Trac Loc from an '89 Mustang which i believe is 28 spline. if the Crown Vic has 28 spline shafts that should go right in but if it's got 31 spline shafts what are my options for donor vehicles?

#2 ·
Hello:
I own an '05 LX Sport, but believe this information is relevant to an '03.

The VIN will not distinguish between a Sport or standard model, but the build sheet or window sticker will. The obvious indicators should be the bucket seat interior with floor shifter and the HPP package with 17" wheels. Also check under the rubber plug on the steering column for evidence of a previously mounted column shifter.

Traction lock was an $156 dollar option in '05s.

A standard CV could be modified to appear to be a Sport, but the parts would be expensive. I have seen one P-71 modified with a sport interior, but the owner pulled the interior and wheels out of a car he had wrecked.
(I installed a built 5.4 in the same car for him. The car would run with a Mustang GT, but he totaled the car again about a year later!)

If you don't have the original window sticker, check for the build sheet. I own three Panthers and have found the build sheets stuffed under the trunk mat, beneath where the spare is mounted, on all three cars.

For reference, my car has traction lock, moonroof, side air bags, power adjustable pedals, trunk mounted 6 disk CD changer, heated mirrors and trunk organizer, listed as options in addition to the sport package. There was no charge for the monochrome paint, but I didn't know that there was a chrome option. Perhaps that explains the Sport that I saw with a chrome grill.

#3 ·
o.k. i'm kind of new to the CV stuff but from my understanding the earlier Sport models came in chrome trim versions as well as the monochromatic ones. the chrome trim didn't come w/ monochromatic paint or the 17" wheels and didn't necessarily have the center console.

#6 ·
Oneday,

Your '03 as with all stock '03 Panthers has 28 spline axles. Panthers were upgraded to 31 spline axles during the '05 model year according to what I have read so all '06 to '08 Panthers have 31 spline axles and can be swapped with many earlier year Panthers. The antilock sensor was changed for '09 which might cause interchange issues with earlier cars (although the sensor may be changeable.)

#5 ·
Does your car have a floor shifter? Is it possible that you have an LX with HPP package? About the only difference between the Sport and an HPP car is the interior and wheels.

Sorry, not much help with the rear end. I've never had a CV read-end apart, but there is more to consider than just the axle spline count. I would Check Hollander to make sure the parts interchange before I tore into it.

#7 ·
If you don't have the floor shifter it is not a sport. I would agree with the other poster and say you have a 2003 LX with the HPP(Handling and Performance package.

You are correct though, Some sports were made with chrome trim although quite rare. All had the buckets and 17" wheels though.

All HPP cars had the chrome trim and bench seats. But added dual exhaust 3.27 axle ratio. air ride suspension and had 16" crosslace wheels(although the newer flat design)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.