MAFs on 86-92 CV? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2005, 17:27   #1 (permalink)
That guy

roll MAFs on 86-92 CV?

I know as soon as you read the title your going to say BS.

Well, I just had a WTF moment with my crown. I was doing my check over (testing spark, fuel, timming, and see if stuff got wires loose or what ever). I got to tracing wires again (its turning into a pass time for me). I got to looking at the brains wire loom, took the covering off, found 4 wires that go no where (right around where your 2 big plugs go for the injector harness). Just these 4 nubbed off wires, doing nothing....... Factory nubbed, not backyard mechanic nubbed off. I traced them to the brain, just 4 wires chilling out that go to the brain. So, I went over to this mustang GT wire loom I have and looked, the same 4 wires, color and all, match with the MAFs plug on the mustang....... That was my WTF moment..... Did ford put MAFs on this but decided to remove it cause its not a performance car? Perhaps it was an idea in the works? Or are these just 4 useless wires from the brain? I know it wouldn't be the first time, my 85 had 5 wires at the same spot that did nothing. This friday I'm going to match the wires with a MAFs plug and MAF I have and see what it does. Now, if this does work, I'm going to be pissed at ford, if it doesn't, I'm going to make it work :)

Now I have seen these kits that turn non-MAFs cars into MAF cars, but for mustang only, and mustang brain no work with crown vic (I still don't understand why ford did that).

Oh ya, my crown is a Jan of 87 P74 with a 5.0L Fully loaded LX sedan.

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2005, 18:01   #2 (permalink)
That guy

Re: MAFs on 86-92 CV?

I was lucky to get ahold of a buddy, he brung his 1988 mustang GT over. I ran an experiment. I unpluged the battery, then the MAFs. Then I reconected the battery and started it. It started and ran, but was gittering like my crowns engine, then felt sluggesh and like the engine was half dead. Then I did it again but plugged the MAFs in and it ran smooth and felt like it had power.

This leads me to beleive those 4 wires are the MAFs. But this friday I shall know. All I can say is, kick ass if they are!! And damn if they arn't, or, oh shit my brain exploded..... 1 of the 3 will happen. Untill friday, have fun, and look for those wires! If no one else has these then I'll use more caution.

Old 09-21-2005, 18:45   #3 (permalink)

I believe they used the same harnesses, just modified them for the specific vehicle. You're in a P-71 with a 5.0? I thought they were all running 351W. You must be in a Captain's unit or something... I couldn't justify running a 5.0 in that heavy of a car and expect it to catch someone.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 21:53   #4 (permalink)
That guy

Its a P74, don't under estimat a 302, a 351W is a streched 5.0. I do have the police sway bars, but P-74 springs (I like a soft ride, the bars stiffed it enough for me). The only thing that gets me is why these MAFs kits for mustangs use new brains and harness, perhaps programing. I'm just hopeing to get lucky with these 4 wires. Perhaps it may smooth this motor out? One can hope.

Old 09-22-2005, 06:52   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel
Its a P74, don't under estimat a 302, a 351W is a streched 5.0. I do have the police sway bars, but P-74 springs (I like a soft ride, the bars stiffed it enough for me). The only thing that gets me is why these MAFs kits for mustangs use new brains and harness, perhaps programing. I'm just hopeing to get lucky with these 4 wires. Perhaps it may smooth this motor out? One can hope.
It sounds to me more like your brain is fried. Did you try hooking up your friend's '88 Mustang brain to your motor?

I know a 302 is just a tall 351W... but the non-MAF 302s aren't very quick- especially those loaded into 3500lb cars. My wagon weighs 4100lbs, which is why I'm going straight for the 351W... which I think is going to come sooner than anticipated.

My Garage
Old 09-22-2005, 12:05   #6 (permalink)
That guy

crown vic brains and mustang brains are not the same. Also, 302 can reach upto 800HP (remember the 80s GTO mustang?). As for my vic brain, its perfectly fine, my motor just runs rough at low idle for some reason. It might be the balancer, but I still want to see if this has MAFs ability, then I can tune my MAFs to my injectors and timing, that would be sweet!

Old 10-04-2005, 09:56   #7 (permalink)

What did you find with this? I'm strongly thinking I'll just pull as much hp out of the stock motor as I can (on a budget), which means I want to be able to run MAF. As it is, I have no sensor on my air intake tube at all- do you?

Please let me know how things go, as I think I'll be doing what you're attempting to do.

My Garage
Old 10-04-2005, 13:40   #8 (permalink)
That guy

I haven't had the chance yet. I was hoping last friday but needed the car for the week-end so I didn't risk it. I'm looking at another 88 CV over here to try it but I need to get it running first. I'm just low on time :(

Old 10-04-2005, 16:10   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel
I'm just low on time :(
I understand that more than you'd imagine. Working a full time job, being a single father, parting out my 300ZX, building up my wagon, repairing my Jeep to sell, being a single father, starting a business... it's rough. Hehehe.

My Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71