Marquis pinging on uphill climbs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2007, 18:39   #1 (permalink)

Marquis pinging on uphill climbs

Hi - first time posting. Nice forum. I have a 1994 Grand Marquis )4.6L) with 170000 miles on it. Lately, its starting to ping when under load going up hill. It also uses about 1 quart of oil every 500-700 miles. Other than that it runs fine. Any suggestions on where to begin with the pinging problem? I would like to get at least 30000 more miles out of it but I think the pinging may be damaging the engine. In the old days, I would just retard the distributor a little but can't do that on this car. Thanks for any suggestions on where to start.
rreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2007, 09:45   #2 (permalink)

Re: Marquis pinging on uphill climbs

Have you changed the plugs in it? If you're burning that much oil, I'd be someone put hotter plugs in it to keep it from fouling them out. That will increase your ping a bit. Have you tried running 89 in it instead of 87? Could also be the different fuel formulation depending on what time of year you ran into this.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:40   #3 (permalink)

At 170k, I'm willing to bet it has A LOT of carbon build-up, which will easily increase compression to the point it's pinging.
Go get a can of Seafoam from the local parts store.
Let engine get up to temp.
Turn off engine.
Remove the fat vacuum line where it connects to your brake booster.
Start the engine.
Slowly pour the Seafoam into the brake booster vacuum hose. If it dies, just crank it back up.
It's gonna smoke like nobody's business.
Use up the whole can.

Drive around a bit and see if you notice a difference, particularly in the uphill climbs.

One thing you can do to avoid carbon buildup is to really put your foot into the throttle once in a while. Running at high RPM (4,000+) ONCE IN A WHILE helps clean out the combustion chambers and actually helps the engine run better.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 20:03   #4 (permalink)

in addition to what freshmeat said, i would also run a few tankfuls with a can of seafoam in each tank. this will aid in cleaning out the injectors as well.

as far as the oil consumption problem, start by looking for leaks, and have the valve seals checked.

DONT JUST BELIEVE IN MIRACLES,
RELY ON THEM.
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71