MisFire Rough running problem 99 crown vic - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 09:26   #1 (permalink)

MisFire Rough running problem 99 crown vic

Hello all
Hoping someone could help.
1999 Crown Vic with 110K. Started to develop slight mis at highway speeds usually around 55-60 MPH. Would get better at higher speeds would not do all the time.
This week car started to run very rough check engine light was flashing.
Had a friend pull the codes it said misfire cyl 5
Figured bad plug or boot/insulator. Popped all new set of plugs Platinum Autolight in insulator/ boots looked nice no cracking or splits or burn though did not change.
Started car up ran sweet for first five or ten minutes then same problem. Rough running a combo of flashing "check engine light" or mostly solid check engine light. Pulled code five different times each time gives me different cylinder along with #5 along with other cylinders.
Using a MAC tools scanner. When check engine light is solid car seems to run well when light is flashing runs like crap. Thought maybe it was the coil pack but when it was swapped #5 another misfire code on different cylinder would pop up. Running also some Techtron as I also thought possible partial clogged injector seems to run slighty better.
Please any suggestions
ronnie l is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 13:04   #2 (permalink)

Re: MisFire Rough running problem 99 crown vic

Well it appears to be a bad spring connector in the #5 cylinder. I replaced the insulator and spring that connects the coil to the spark plug and it seems to have cured the problem. I am going to do the other seven cylinders as preventive measure.
Hope this helps someone else
Old 11-17-2008, 13:51   #3 (permalink)

frown Re: MisFire Rough running problem 99 crown vic

Well spoke to soon....car ran great for a couple of days now the problem is back.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:18   #4 (permalink)
Ozzy

i had a similar problem with my vic i thought it was injectors ended up beign the dis coil, i replace them with the MSD coil packs and its been great ever since
Old 11-21-2008, 12:47   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmossis View Post
i had a similar problem with my vic i thought it was injectors ended up beign the dis coil, i replace them with the MSD coil packs and its been great ever since
The problem with the 1999 model is each cyl has a coil pack at $50+ a piece
I was also told it could be crank sensor
Old 11-22-2008, 18:34   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Switch a coil from another Cylinder and see if the problem follows. If it does you'll know it's the coil. If not, it may be the injector. Haven't seen the crank sensor have an intermittant problem. Also they aren't known to be a weak spot.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 16:47   #7 (permalink)

Well I replaced #3 coil pack with a new one and so far no misfire. It seems that was the problem, but I said that the last time also.
Old 12-06-2008, 18:31   #8 (permalink)
Fried chicken & gasoline!

Glad to hear that you're problem went away. Hopefully that solved it. This may be a stupid question but did you have to remove the fuel rail to remove the coils? I'm getting ready to pull my coils and it appears to be the only way.
PsychoBillee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:44   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBillee99 View Post
Glad to hear that you're problem went away. Hopefully that solved it. This may be a stupid question but did you have to remove the fuel rail to remove the coils? I'm getting ready to pull my coils and it appears to be the only way.
I was told I would have to but you don't. They come out easy. 7mm deep socket and a decent extension. Don't overtighten or you will crack the coil packs. Just a little over hand tighten. I pulled the plugs at that point also gave them a squirt of PBY nutbuster but they also came out easy. Applied some anti seize to plugs but i figure car will be gone by the time I have yo change plugs again.

The only thing to pull out of the way is the aircleaner hose that goes to the throttle body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71