a miss - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 18:49   #1 (permalink)

a miss

Hello and thanks for reading.

I have a 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis which I recently bought used with 120K miles. The check engine light came on, and it was missing badly. I took it to a guy who read the code and said it was a misfire on #4. He replaced the coil pack and the plug on #4.

All was great until about 20 miles later. It seemed to be the same thing with the bad miss and the check engine light. I went back, and this time the code said it was a misfire on cylinder 5. He inspected the coil pack, and checked the plug. He cleared the code and said all was well.

I still have the bad miss, and the check engine light is on again. Do you have any suggestions for me about how to fix this?
t_haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 19:32   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: a miss

Did he see if the other plugs needed replacement? It could have another coil pack problem. You can move the offending cyl. coil pack to another location, (one that's easier to get to), and see if the missfire move with it. Autozone will check the codes for free. Another thing to do is, clean the MAF with the MAF cleaner.
Old 01-22-2010, 19:57   #3 (permalink)

I think I will try the autozone read codes for free. Would you suggest replacing this Coil on Plug Boot by Autolite - Part 50003 - Advance Auto Parts on the problematic cycliners?
Old 01-22-2010, 20:54   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Those are just the boots for the coils. If it needs a coil, the boot comes with it. The boots could be bad but more than likely, it's the coil itself. Check our sponsor Rockauto, they give a discout to our members. Look down the forums to the sponsor section.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:20   #5 (permalink)

I installed a new coil pack when Advance Auto opened, and I got them to clear the "check engine" light. The only code in memory was the misfire on #5, and it seems to be completely fixed now.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:34   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Thanks for the update.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71