Most fuel efficent v8 engine - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 01:07   #1 (permalink)

Most fuel efficent v8 engine

I understand that the title of this thread is sort of a paradox, but i was wondering. For the type of engine (V8), what is the most fuel efficient one?

OR how could you build your own fuel efficient V8 Engine. (That's a pretty big question, so rather than receive a lot of small answers, I'm talking about a V8 engine that gets 20-25+ miles per gallon)

Thanks in advance.
EmoRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 05:21   #2 (permalink)

Re: Most fuel efficent v8 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoRabbit View Post
I'm talking about a V8 engine that gets 20-25+ miles per gallon)
Well, many V8 engines get up to 25 mpg on the highway so you aren't stretching too far. My 88 Corvette with the L98 (350 cu in) V8 and 4+3 manual trans can get as much as 29 mpg on the highway. A lot of that depends on the profile of the vehicle the engine is put in, my Corvette sits low and is aerodynamic, put the same engine in a tall truck and the mileage won't be as good.
leftoverture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:41   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

My 2000 Crown Vic gets 23-25MPG on the road al the time. It's a P71 so the diff gears are for power and not for better mileage.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:40   #4 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

girlfriends 1989 Crown Victoria after getting it running when she first bought averaged 25 mpg on the 5 hour trip home. she has 2.73 open geared rearend in hers.

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:25   #5 (permalink)

Fuel efficiency is dependent on many factors. Displacement, intake and exhaust design, combustion management,gearing,vehicle weight,aerodynamics (as mentioned above). The number of cylinders for an engine of the same displacement doesn't mean much except for what the engine was designed to do in one vehicle or another. Why have the complexity of a V8 if you can get the job done with a V6 with the same displacement? It depends on what you want it to do and how much money you have....
floater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 22:13   #6 (permalink)

How realistic is it to want to get 25 mpg out of a 1987 mercury grand marquis that weights aprox. 2 tons? The engine in it currently has 164k on it, so i think i might be building a new engine soon. Previous owner didn't take that good care of it. As far as gear ratio, its a stock automatic. Would a manual be more fuel efficient?
EmoRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 22:32   #7 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

you need to look up the axle code on the driver door and tell us what it says above the AX area. that tells us the rear gear is. you can get better mileage out of a few tune-up type things. some basic maintenance and the car should pick up on the mpg. Grand Marquis in 1987 can get 20+mpg also... that is what i drive most of the time... also have a 1986 also here that belongs to my girlfriend's son...

i do lotsa modding to the cars here and make them better... biggest killers are the extra drag from smog and a/c and if you have a vacuum leak.

Old 04-19-2009, 22:38   #8 (permalink)

Well, if it's a 351 with a carb you would be doing good to get 20MPG, if it was running right. If it's a 302 with FI, you may get a little better. I used to get 23 from an '87 Caprice with the 305/4bbl and 700R4 overdrive trans at moderate highway speeds.

Those are old pushrod engines with dated induction and engine management systems... I'd save the expense of rebuilding an engine that old and get a newer vehicle with a 4.6 unless you are totally in love with the '87. A car that size and that old just isn't going to get very good MPG, no matter what you do.
Old 04-19-2009, 22:46   #9 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

a 5.0L is cheaper to build up. i personally prefer the 5.0L and rather work on that. at least with a 1986-1991 you can get performance parts cheaper than a 4.6L and many people have take off stuff from mustangs that bolt on... examples include headers, h pipes, x pipes, intakes, cylinder heads, etc.

Old 04-19-2009, 23:07   #10 (permalink)

Oh, yeah much cheaper if you re-do the whole thing. Since he wants MPG more than performance (I guess), that's just an opinion on the newer vehicle. I know most of the old small blocks are great engines. I've had several Mopar 318's and 360's in work vans and most of my friends' work trucks were Fords that ran forever...especially those 300inch sixes.

I have a '91 B250 Dodge van that is completely rust-free and that I love. I will probably rebuild the 318 before I buy a newer van...but it shouldn't need it for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71