Motorcraft 5w20 prices - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 16:17   #1 (permalink)

Motorcraft 5w20 prices

Hey guys who uses this oil? Is it semi-synthetic? I have been using pennzoil 5w20 or usually whatever is on sale in my car but always brand name 5w20 and a black wix filter because I heard they are good. Thinking about switching to the semi-syn motorcraft and maybe even motorcraft filters. How much do you guys pay for this stuff at the dealer? Im just curious because I am going to call tomorrow and see how much I can get it for, pretty sure they will want alot for it here in Canada!
lt1tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 16:52   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Motorcraft 5w20 prices

It's semi-synthetic. No need to go through the dealer. Most places here in the states that carry motor oil sell it, filters too. I think Motorcraft makes some of the best oil filters along with WIX and Purolator

I've heard people complain about oil leakage due to shrinking seals after switching from conventional oil to synthetic. Supposedly its only a temporary issue and they say will stop in most cases. Not sure how that will work changing to a synthetic blend.

In my opinion, switching to Syn-Blend is not going to help or hurt a thing except for spending the extra money. Where I live is about 3.50 to 4.00 a quart.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:07   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Motorcraft 5w20 prices

I'd spend the extra buck a quart and get full synthetic. "Semi snythetic" isn't always what it seems. In some cases it can be worse than regular oil due to too much additives and no synthetic stocks at all. It's all in the marketing because it brings manufacturers more money than full synthetic or standard oil. Stick with a quality standard oil if you don't want to go all out full synthetic. I worked for one of the larger oil companies here in Ontario for many years.

Another marketing ploy is the "Up to 10% ethanol" signs on fuel pumps. Very rarely does any one fuel delivery contain more than 5% ethanol, as 90% of the vehicles still on the road cannot safely run more than 5% and the petrol firms know this. In most cases it's in the 3-4% range and can reach 5% in the winter months.

Anyway, go with full synthetic if you don't burn much oil, it's lower cost in the long run due to the longer drain interval and you'll also make the environmentalists feel better.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71