Ford Forums banner

MPG Update On Grand Marquis With Fuel Problem

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
Should I be surprised that my mpg avg is right at 26mpg?
Since I had the fuel issue fixed with a new pump and have been using this car as my my daily driver my mpg started out at 20mpg with my first tank and each tank since has gotten better mpg. My driving is mostly non stop at hwy speeds but still a good half hour a day of city driving stop and go.
I will get 381 miles to 14.4 gallons of Shell gas. I've been using premium to clean out everything since the car did sit for over a year. I need to start back on regular but even using premium is cheaper than filling up my Infiniti QX56 @$94.50 a tank...
It also appears the more miles I put on the car the smoother the engine is running and the easier it is for it to go faster. The previous owner was an old lady so I am guessing the ECM had to adjust to my driving style. Even going on the hwy at 80mph I'm still getting these numbers. I am really shocked at how good this large car is doing on gas.
I had plans to sell it since I bought it soo low and buy a Corolla to save on gas since I drive 130 miles a day. I do not feel the need to now with getting 26mpg.

#3 ·
Good to hear . Sometimes if you give a car that has been sitting for a while and used , should I say " cautiously " by an elderly person a good belt on the hwy , it does it the world of good .It is also known over here as " a Ferrari tune up " !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.