Mustang HO in Non HO CV - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 15:45   #1 (permalink)

Mustang HO in Non HO CV

I have an 88 CV that currently has no motor in it. I sold my 95 Mustang GT without the motor so I have it fresh from the builders. My question is, what all will it take to put the 95 HO into my CV? I've been searching for the last few days and all I can find is people talking about older Mustang GT motors being swapped so any input would be greatly appreciated.
88_94vics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 18:09   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Mustang HO in Non HO CV

1995 is OBD II, you'll need to grab the PCM and tranny as well. Basically, you're back fitting from a newer generation, so you'll have to accommodate with the PCM, wiring harness, and transmission. Which engine was in the CV?
Old 01-30-2013, 18:09   #3 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

BTW, love your tag.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:31   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Check Summit and other "hot rodding" publications.

It can be done. (you can put anything into anything if you have the time and money) There have many newer engine swaps into older cars (as you mentioned, especially 5.4 DOHC's into Mustangs) using "stand alone" wiring harnesses and PCM's. Be award of your state's emissions laws before starting a swap like this.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 16:11   #5 (permalink)

The motor that was in the CV was originally a 5.0 non HO. Could I not use the trans that is already in the CV? I live in Kansas. The only emissions law is that you have to have a full exhaust. Visual inspection only. The only time they check is if they have you pulled over and have a loud exhaust.
Old 02-01-2013, 19:28   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

The problem is that the older transmission won't have certain sensors that the new one will have. Fortunately, as Bajarider stated, they make stand alone control systems. No idea on the cost or reliability, never done one.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:54   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

We installed a computer controlled DOHC 4.6 into a '68 Mustang over ten years ago using a stand alone harness. We used a 5 speed Tremac (not an auto, but still a non-computer controlled trans), and as far as I know, the car was dependable with no problems associated with the wiring. Your non-computer controlled automatic will not know what's in front and will work fine as long as it is is in good condition and can handle the extra torque.

Our harness was custom made by a SoCal auto electric shop that wires SCORE off-road racers. It's just a matter of connecting the sensors to the PCM (easily said), but sometimes the PCM will need to be programmed. That's where I get lost, but ask around.

The shop I used has since closed, but there are many others. Check around your area and with some of the local hot rodders at cruise night. They will steer you to the good shops that do custom work. Also check FRPP. The FORD stuff is expensive, but reliable.

I would be inclined to swap a big torquey 460 into your heavy ride, but since you already have the engine, the HO sounds like fun and has the makings of a real sleeper.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 17:13   #8 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

Biggest difference of h.o. & non h.o. Is cam, firing order, heads & intake, and injectors . Can flip alot of stuff from original motor . Wil need ecm/brain to work different firing order & injectors .better off with 97 exploder swap with 5.0 h.o. . It has better cam that will benefit the car because weight & need for more torque . Rear gear swap to 3.55 k code or 3.73 will give better take off also instead of relying on engine so much . Use a late 80s mark 7 brain to keep cruise & stuff . Will need modded throttlebody to work aod cable to keep upper intake flipped same as lopo 5.0

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 21:28   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the input. Sorry my kids have been sick and I totally forgot all about posting this. 87, the only reason I'm wanting to use a Mustang motor is because I have it and won't have to spend any more money on another motor. Plus it will put out more torque than the stock Explorer motor. It isn't a stock motor. So I can use the HO upper, just swap it around? Is that what you are saying? Different gears is something else I'm wanting to do in the future once I have some money saved up. Will my wiring harness plug into the ecm for the Mark 7 or will I have to get a different harness? What exactly do you mean modded throttle body. Can I not use the one that came off the CV initially?
Old 02-11-2013, 23:25   #10 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

Will have to bore out your egr spacer from the original lopo 5.0 . that way you can mount your accelerator brackets & stuff back . The upper intake/plenum can be turned to fit with throttle body opening faces driver side of car . I would mount all stuff from front of engine to the stang engine too .still think a mark 7 brain would benefit car to retain stuff . If doing this, the mustang o2 sensors are farther down exhaust than stock position in a crown vic motor . Will think more about this & stuff i may have forgotten to mention

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71