My car is all messed up. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 23:36   #1 (permalink)

My car is all messed up.

Okay, it started out as a whole bunch of electrical problems that I think I have fixed. I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator, idle air control valve, ignition coil, plugs and plug wires, and throttle position sensor. I thought my oil leak was coming from a valve cover gasket but it was the oil pressure hose, I went ahead and replace the gasket and I don't think I did it right cause now it is leaking out the valve cover I think. Also when pulling the valve cover off, I pulled off the throttle body for extra room. Now that I have it back on my car smokes really bad. Bad enough to fill the field next door. I used CRC Throttle Body cleaner from walmart and I think I sprayed too much in. Will it all evaporate or burn through the motor over time or is the smoke probably from something else? Here is a link to a video on youtube that shows the smoke:

I thought about just pulling the motor and putting a carbureted motor in there just so I don't have to deal with all the electronic stuff again. What are your opinions about that. Also if anyone has done that, what all is there to change and is it very hard? Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
88_94vics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 05:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: My car is all messed up.

White smoke when first started is normal. If white smoke continues you have an internal coolant leak, i.e., cracked head/blown head gasket. Black smoke is caused by a rich fuel condition. Blue smoke is caused by oil consumption.

Good luck....

I really hope its not your head gasket (they are hard to fix)

p.s your sig (My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes) just MADE my morning!!!! it was funny as hell...
jsuthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:56   #3 (permalink)

Does the smoke have a smell of coolant when you stand next to it, if so it could be a bad head gasket or a cracked head. Check your oil and see if water is visible on the dip stick or drain the oil into something that you can look into and see the oil. Have you tried to drive the car to see if the smoke goes away while yuo drive, and does it over heat while at idle in park. Please try and give me more info and I will see what I can do to help a fellow ford owner. Thanks, Brian
brianmurrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:34   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmurrah View Post
Does the smoke have a smell of coolant when you stand next to it, if so it could be a bad head gasket or a cracked head. Check your oil and see if water is visible on the dip stick or drain the oil into something that you can look into and see the oil. Have you tried to drive the car to see if the smoke goes away while yuo drive, and does it over heat while at idle in park. Please try and give me more info and I will see what I can do to help a fellow ford owner. Thanks, Brian

BTW coolant is kind of sweet smelling
Old 10-26-2009, 09:59   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuthers View Post
p.s your sig (My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes) just MADE my morning!!!! it was funny as hell...
Thanks. I thought it was pretty funny when I say it myself. That's just it, it doesn't smell like oil, fuel, or coolant. However everything that the smoke gets on leaves an oily residue on it. I was wandering if it could be the throttle body cleaner or maybe coolant entering through the throttle body. If it is the coolant, can I just pull off the 2 hoses and bypass them or will that cause some problems?
Old 10-26-2009, 10:01   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmurrah View Post

No. Other than the smoke, it seems to run normal. No overheating, even keeping it at 2k rpm. I tried to drive it the other day and the smoke did not go away.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:07   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Since it started after your work, I'd recheck all the steps and see what could have happened. A head gasket wouldn't start after what you did.If you dropped something down the intake, was sucked into the engine and knocked a hole in a piston, you'd get blowby and smoke.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:12   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
If you dropped something down the intake, was sucked into the engine and knocked a hole in a piston, you'd get blowby and smoke.

I know I didn't drop anything in the intake. That's why I was wandering about the CRC Throttle Body and Intake Cleaner. If it is from spraying too much will it eventually all burn out of it?
Old 10-26-2009, 10:33   #9 (permalink)

That would make sense for it to eventually burn. if you sprayed a WHOLE bunch it just just have accumulated (rev your engine for a bit or take it for a nice relaxing (Smokey) drive around town lol
Old 10-26-2009, 18:11   #10 (permalink)

Okay, I bypassed the coolant lines going into the throttle body and it seems to be smoking a little less than before. I'm going to go for a country cruise and see if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71