My car burns oil really bad - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 18:29   #1 (permalink)
Stankin Lankin

confused My car burns oil really bad

Hello everyone. I just did an oil change today and man, is my car really smoking. It has smoked before but never like this. I decided to go with filly synthetic oil since I do have a lot of miles on it. Well, needless to say, the burning got worse. Before, i would have to let it sit idling for about 3 to 4 minutes before I hit the gas and smoke would come out. Now it only takes 2 minutes before it really smokes. Was changing over to synthetic a good move? Or is it something else I should be worried about?
agon3279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 18:57   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: My car burns oil really bad

What year is it?
Old 04-01-2010, 19:33   #3 (permalink)
Stankin Lankin

it is a 1992 lincoln tc but has the same motor as the crown vic and g-marq
agon3279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 19:59   #4 (permalink)

the -96 4.6 V8 had problems with valve seals going bad prematurely, it sounds like that is likely the problem w/ yours. It's probably coincidence that you notice it more after changing to a synthetic, or maybe synthetic burns differently (more smoke) than regular oil.

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS ~89,000mi, Willow Green inside and out. It's very green.
1998 Chevrolet Malibu Base V6 187,000mi (sold)
BigMerc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 20:30   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMerc96 View Post
the -96 4.6 V8 had problems with valve seals going bad prematurely, it sounds like that is likely the problem w/ yours. It's probably coincidence that you notice it more after changing to a synthetic, or maybe synthetic burns differently (more smoke) than regular oil.
X2 Valve seals. Replace them and you can go many miles more.
Old 04-01-2010, 20:44   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

X3 on valve seals. I would go back to conventional oil also. A lot of people complain of their higher mileage engines developing oil leaks after switching to synthetic. I've heard it actually cause the seals to shrink for a short time.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:57   #7 (permalink)

A mechanic advised me not to use full synthetic oil in older engines. I used synthetic in my '98 cv and it definitely burned more oil. Since then i switched back to regular 5w30 and its better now but still worse then before the synthetic. Engine had about 175000km then.
evanm33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 18:43   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Personally, I had a 91 Town Car with the same issue and indeed it is valve seals. I switched from 5W30 conventional to 10W30 synthetic Mobil 1 and my oil consumption went down HUGE. Almost half of what it was. I attribute that more so to the change in weight rather than going from conventional to synthetic.

In my opinion, if you are seeing increased oil consumption, I would go with a heavier weight oil but still run 5W30 in the winter. Going to a heavier weight like 10W30 will fill those gaps in the engine that have grown larger from age. You WILL notice less consumption. I did.
Old 04-08-2010, 18:49   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Either way, 5/30 and 10/30 are both 30wt when engine is at normal operating temp.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 18:59   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Ok, maybe it's the viscosity then. OOPS Anyways, when I went to 10W30, not only did my oil consumption go way down, but it got rid of the valve chatter too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71