My first CVPI - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 17:02   #1 (permalink)

confused My first CVPI

Hello all!
I just bought a 1999 CV P71 and I am really excited about it. Ive been putzing around online trying to figure some things out. I know the police interceptors have different parts but Im not sure which ones. A lot of the info differs from source to source.
Also Im looking on Summit at performance parts but I have no idea what upgrades will be better than whats already on it. I looked around here and I cant seem to find a list of upgrades that make a difference on a P71.

Im primarily looking for bolt on upgrades that do not involve pulling the engine. I was recently overhauled on the top end and only has 500 miles on it.

Can somebody help out the FNG and point me to a sticky or advise me on the most bang for your buck when it comes to bolt on upgrades like injectors,fuel rails, intakes,computer chips, throttle body, etc. ? Thanks

Ill be uploading pics when I pick up the car next week!
CarsonArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 17:19   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: My first CVPI

Congrats on your purchase. As far as upgrades depends on what your looking for. Changing injectors,fuel rails isn't going to give anything. Engine only needs so much fuel stock. Not until you start modifying internals will those upgrades come into play. As far as difference over regular crown Vic not a whole lot. Usually a different set if gears in axle and slightly different PCM tune. Nothing major at all.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 22:00   #3 (permalink)

Good to know! Im new to this engine, my other vehicle is a 1962 Mercury Monterey with a 292 Y-Block.......way different. So many of my other vehicles were old classics so this is a "modern" engine comparatively. So I heard the 99's dont have a speed limiter? I've read both yes and no. I read, 3.73 gears will get it to scoot. I heard you can get a shift kit for them that helps out.....is any of this good info? What do you do to get them faster? Supercharger? lol
CarsonArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:01   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

I understand the 5.4 is a little more buildable.
Old 09-03-2013, 19:11   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

A mild 5.4 with Trick Flow heads,cams and throttle body is good for an additional 100-110 HP and 130 ft. lbs of torque over a stock 4.6. It will also get over 22 MPG with stock 3:23 rear gears, but will require premium fuel with the small cc heads. Your driveline should be in like new condition, mod the trans for more fluid flow (NOT higher line pressure!) and softer accumulator springs for quicker shifts, and you will absolutely have a sleeper that will embarrass a lot of European iron. The cost is the downside, about $5,000 if you do the work yourself, but worth every penny in grins!
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 17:24   #6 (permalink)

Look up the Jmod for the transmission, can be done at home with hand tools. Check out crown vic.net for some good info too.
Old 10-05-2013, 18:59   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Jmod video by Rizzo listed at the top of this section.

or here The Official JMOD How-to Video by Rizzo
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71