My (new) 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2006, 23:58   #1 (permalink)

My (new) 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis

I just got this car- and shes a beaut!
I'm so very very pleased.
But I have questions...
The Engine (5.0 EFI), and shes an Lx
Can I swap reasonably for an inline 6

The Tranny seems to switch slow going into 3rd

Handling- what in the world can I do?

Exhaust- I want better MPG and more oomph

Anything else I should know?

And what is wrong with the SEATBELTS???
dhcg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2006, 15:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: My (new) 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis

As for the handling I would upgrade the shock, springs, and tires depending if it has not been done yet. For exhaust you can go to your nearest auto zone or napa and they have a dual exhaust kit for your car which will give you a little more power and fuel milage. As for the trans. not quite sure but you might need a TV cable adjustment. Also a little advice to prolong the life of the trans. while driving 0-55 MPH I would drive in D and 55 plus I would drive in OD.
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 17:26   #3 (permalink)

As for the inline 6, a very wise man once said, "You can put anything into anything if you have a big enough hammer." My question would be, why do you want to change to a six? I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad idea, but I'm just wondering what your intentions are.

And the seatbelts, well, tell us. What is it that's wrong with them? Are they not retracting when you release them? If so, they're probably just stiff and need to be lubricated. If it's a different problem, you'll have to provide more details.

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2bbl Carbureted 351W V8, ported and polished E7TE heads, Edelbrock cam
AOD Transmission with B&M Shift Kit
3.55:1 Positraction Rear Axle
Visit My Car Domain Account Here Updated 1/27/07!
Nathan in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:48   #4 (permalink)

Why a six for an 8? Gas mileage, and I just want something more unique- but the 302 v8 is fine for now I guess. It just seems like a big waste of 5 liters- and I feel as if I can capitalize more with a v-6, but then again, Ford has no decent v6's that I know of.

The seatbelts just wont catch- if pull really hard and fast, well they just come right on out. Very dangerous.

What can I do to improve MPG-?

I just got the brakes bleed, coolant replaced, oil change, tranny flush and the fuel system flushed as well.

My buddy was telling me to replace the MAF and Air filter.

I just want a dependable car, good gas mileage, and the ability to drive with some oomph under the hood.

Time to go check the 302 forums- that is the engine right? efi 5.0 liter.

How many horses and how much torque do we have?
dhcg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:29   #5 (permalink)

If you want a six cylinder, a V6 is probably the way to go since there are more readily available modern versions of V6s than of inline sixes. Most inline sixes you will find are carbureted and don't have engine management systems on them. For this reason, it's debatable whether you would see a significant improvement in mileage with a straight six.

With a V6, however, you'll have no problem finding one that is fuel injected and has the management systems that will provide you with better fuel mileage. Why do you say that Ford has no decent V6s? The 3.8L Mustang V6 ought to be a very good engine for your application.

That said, however, it would still be a major undertaking engineering-wise, and you have to decide whether it is really worth it to you to do all that work and spend all that money for the sake of a few miles per gallon. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's not something I would just leap into.

Of course, you also have the option of making upgrades to the V8 to increase its efficiency. You may see a significant gain in mileage and power, and it would be MUCH less complex than putting in an engine that was not originally intended to be there.

Horsepower for the 302 in 1987 is 150@3400 rpm
Torque is 270@2000 rpm

Just a few things to think about. Hope it helps.

Nathan in MN (now in MI for college)

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2bbl Carbureted 351W V8, ported and polished E7TE heads, Edelbrock cam
AOD Transmission with B&M Shift Kit
3.55:1 Positraction Rear Axle
Visit My Car Domain Account Here Updated 1/27/07!
Nathan in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 15:31   #6 (permalink)

Also you do not have a MAF sensor. And if you want a little more power then I would grab some parts off of a mustang or mark7 and put them on your engine, You can get these parts really cheap at a juckyard. Or if you want to put the power you are making now with your stock engine to the ground I would think about upgrading the gears and puting in a posi. Also a shift kit does not hurt either.
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 19:43   #7 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

The shoulder seatbelts work on track with a ball bearing that rolls and locks the belts when the vehicle is under hard breaking .So, when working correctly it won't lock just by pulling hard and fast.You can, take the B-Pillar post covering off and make sure that it is not stuck in the unlock position by lubricating the mechanism.
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:02   #8 (permalink)

A V6, eh? Any fuel economy you might save from having two less cylinders will be out the window when you put it into the 'Vic which weighs well over 5000 pounds (My '85 weighs in close to 5500 pounds). It'll be working way too hard, and may not get you up the hills. The harder an engine has to work, the more fuel it'll burn.

The 302 (5.0litre) you have now may not be a power monger, but it has plenty of torque. You'll be hard-pressed finding a stock V6 that comes anywhere close.

Lastly, if the engineers at Ford felt that a V6 would be capable of hauling around such a car, they would have offered it. The 80s were a time when everyone was opting out of large cars that had 8 cylinder engines, in favour for 6 & 4 cylinder powered cars. These cars were considerably smaller than the 'Vic. My point is, the Crown Vic was never meant to be an "economy" car. Those who purchased it were people who still wanted a large car, and could care less about fuel economy (actually, the fuel economy for the 'Vic is pretty good). You'd need a large 6 out of a truck to be able to power the Crown Vic. But again, you won't realize big fuel savings because of the size of the engine you'll need to use.
Lambykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71