need advice on possibly buying a 99 marquis - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2007, 23:24   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1
need advice on possibly buying a 99 marquis

I'm looking into purchasing a 1999 grand marquis I saw listed on craigslist. It sounds like it needs a head gasket job, but they want only $1300, with 55,000 miles on the car. I've never dealt with a ford before, just a pre-ford volvo. The volvo is a nice car, but it needs a lot of work, has a lot of miles, and is more trouble at this point, with over 200k on the clock, than its worth.

The owner claims that it needs a new head gasket because he saw droplets of antifreeze on the spark plug in one particular cylinder, and while the engine doesn't run with that plug in place, its fine without it. He did also say that there is no antifreeze in the oil.

Are there any performance modifications that can be done to these cars? I'm not thinking nitrous or anything, but 200hp doesn't seem like enough for me. it turbocharging an option? How much punishment can the engine/tranny on these cars take?

last question. I am use to either having a fwd car, or rwd with 4x4 option. In rain or snow, how does the marquis handle? I would put good tires on, but otherwise, how is handling in bad conditions?

Thanks
Joe
USSEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-15-2007, 19:47   #2 (permalink)
rvguy
 
rvguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago NW Suburbs
Posts: 17
Re: need advice on possibly buying a 99 marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSEnterprise
I'm looking into purchasing a 1999 grand marquis I saw listed on craigslist. It sounds like it needs a head gasket job, but they want only $1300, with 55,000 miles on the car. I've never dealt with a ford before, just a pre-ford volvo. The volvo is a nice car, but it needs a lot of work, has a lot of miles, and is more trouble at this point, with over 200k on the clock, than its worth.

The owner claims that it needs a new head gasket because he saw droplets of antifreeze on the spark plug in one particular cylinder, and while the engine doesn't run with that plug in place, its fine without it. He did also say that there is no antifreeze in the oil.

Are there any performance modifications that can be done to these cars? I'm not thinking nitrous or anything, but 200hp doesn't seem like enough for me. it turbocharging an option? How much punishment can the engine/tranny on these cars take?

last question. I am use to either having a fwd car, or rwd with 4x4 option. In rain or snow, how does the marquis handle? I would put good tires on, but otherwise, how is handling in bad conditions?

Thanks
Joe
Got to love v-8 rear wheel drive in slick conditions and a little space to play in.

The price, mileage, and what is leaking out of the motor make me think that it would be a great idea to take it to a qualified and trusted mechanic to give it a good once over. 1 hour labor can save lots of pain and expense. I wonder how this motor would take to the extra power? The stock power seems to be to much.

This is my humble opinion: Buy a car with more than 200hp if that is what you're after. Many mild mods can be made to get noticeable gains in performance on the GM. Cold air intake (all of it), headers-back exhaust. Change the gearing in the rear end. Ignition, plugs, wires. Then a good ECM program for these mods. This alone will tend to be harder on all the parts around and including the mods. Doing super aspirated modifications (super/turbo charging) will need more done than bolting on the part to get a kick in the pants. Fuel pump and injectors. Valve train anyone? Pistons, cams, crank, bearings? Lets not forget about the trans... and the brakes... and the suspension. All that makes a good case for a 75hp shot of nitrous. Or a 150 shot until something breaks, giving you a great excuse to build up what fails. HEHE.

I fear the good person that asked these questions may not be looking for this response, but hopefully it will be good food for thought for all who read it.

Be cool.
rvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:00   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale-Miami
Posts: 4
Re: need advice on possibly buying a 99 marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy
Got to love v-8 rear wheel drive in slick conditions and a little space to play in.

The price, mileage, and what is leaking out of the motor make me think that it would be a great idea to take it to a qualified and trusted mechanic to give it a good once over. 1 hour labor can save lots of pain and expense.
Be cool.
Yes you MUST have it checked out.Me and my step dad both bought 05 Crown Vics that were a year old and less the 20k miles but had someone check it out first to be sure.You never
know.
5K miles is very very low for a 99 so not sure if something is up with that.That car should be in perfect running order and be looking like new if that is 55k original miles.

Can't trust anybody these days.I generally don't believe anything I hear and very little of what I see cause in the end it ends up being a entire different story.

Bottom line>Take it to Linc-Mercury or a guy you can trust for a good going over! It will be worth every penny in the long run!

I HATE to see good hard working people get screwed over!

BTW when I sold my 99 Grand Marquis[HPP] [my last car] it had 150k miles on it and everything was original and it needed nothing.It was damaged during a hurricane and it needed 2 much body work so sold it or I would still have it.Even the A/C was still cold and I had it on all the time.
Good Luck
MIAMI-DADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 16:34   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 17
Re: need advice on possibly buying a 99 marquis

Didn't the 1999 models have a transmission problem? One had to be religious when it came to servicing the transmission every 30,000 miles.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 20:59   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale-Miami
Posts: 4
Re: need advice on possibly buying a 99 marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM
Didn't the 1999 models have a transmission problem? One had to be religious when it came to servicing the transmission every 30,000 miles.
Never heard of that.Mine and others who had 98-00 Marquis and put over 100k miles on them had no trouble with the trannys but we all had the trannys serviced every 30 to 35k miles.All these cars were driven in Miami jungle heat in nightmare traffic with the a/c on all the time.

We all did the factory rec. service every 30k miles and only Ford-Linc-Mercury did the service.
MIAMI-DADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 20:31   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 41
Re: need advice on possibly buying a 99 marquis

I'd have it checked out for sure. These cars have problems with the all-plastic intake manifold rupturing and leaking all the coolant out (pre-2001 models). The "head gasket leak" may indeed be a bad intake manifold instead. It's not too hard to fix; see instructions and info here... Autoclinix.com: Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Intake Manifold Repair

but you'll want to make sure the engine was not overheated.
sheebeehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:57.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.