Need Computer 04 P-71 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 10:50   #1 (permalink)

Need Computer 04 P-71

I need a cumputer for my 04 P-71 Crown vic. We still aren't sure if thats it but we cant get a code scanner to read the car so we assume its the stupid puter
bowdeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2009, 12:02   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Need Computer 04 P-71

Did you check all the fuses? Does the car run? What are the symptoms? If you do need the PCM, here's where to search: Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 13:29   #3 (permalink)

yes sir we checked all the fuses (we think) and the relay. I replaced Battery, and battery cables. I got it over at a guys house that is a real good machanic. His diognostic computer will not read the car it just says error after trying to talk to the car. The car cranks and cranks but will not fire. When you hit the key the speedo jumps and check engine light flickers. The fuel pump is not coming on so we hot wired 12 volts to it and it come on. We got 12 volts to the fuel pump with a volt ohm meter but it will not light a 12 volt test light. everything works on the car accept it will not fire. Car ran great when I parked it and know it won't start. Crazy

Thanks,
Mark

Check out my post titled 04 crown vic will not start
bowdeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:29   #4 (permalink)

Hello, I would also recheck the harness that leads to the computer interface for the scanner. maybe it got one of the wires pulled off or corrosion on the other side of the wires. Its hard to get under there and take a good look, you really have to take the drivers seat out to lay down and look in there real good.I have a 2006 shop manual and it has some codes in there that are not in the regular car book like chilton and haynes. I'll keep watch on the forum. I know my car has the OBD2 system, but I dont know about previous cars to 1998. I bought a cheap scanner at harbor freight for about 40 buck, its okay, but I would pay a little more for a more detailed scanner. as for the dealer workshop manual, i got them on ebay, if you look around you can get them pretty cheap or cheaper than new for sure and they are a little more detailed. hope this helps.
mercdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:06   #5 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

12V at the pump, but not enough current for a test light says you have high resistance in that circuit. Since you're using a jumper wire for +, I'd guess the fault is in the ground. And since the computer is also having problems, it sounds like the fault is very close to the battery ground wire. Remove, clean, & tighten every terminal on it. If that doesn't fix it, start checking all the OTHER grounding points on the car. Most will have a green screw holding several black wires to the body, frame, or block.
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71