Need help! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 18:24   #1 (permalink)

Need help!

Looking for advice. I just purchased a 04 Crown Vic P71, extremely clean with 99900 miles on it. When I purchased it, it had a check engine light on, and I put it on the scanner which showed P0174 lean engine condition, bank 2. It has began to have a surging idle, which seems to be getting worse. I inspected all lines within the engine for a vaccum leak, cant find anything. Any ideas? Also when the car warms up, between 20 to 40 MPH, there is a violent bucking, and when it shifts to 4th from 3rd, there is a lag, and it goes into 4th hard. I beleive this may be the torque converter. It does not appear to slip while in gear when you mash the gas. I have had the tranny flushed, and added one bottle of lucas tranny treatment. No change. I have added a bottle of seafoam to a fresh tank of gas and no change. I am taking this car for a 5 hour round trip for thanksgiving, and need advise on wether this should be driven or not, and what the problems could be.
nhbluevip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 20:00   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Need help!

See how it runs with the MAF unhooked. If it runs better, get some MAF cleaner and clean it. See how it runs then. The trans will not shift properly with a running problem. Worry about the trans if it runs good and still has trans concerns.
Old 11-22-2010, 13:20   #3 (permalink)

Alright, update. Today I changed fuel filter, nothing changed. I took it to the shop and had them hook it up to the computer. It showed these numbers for codes. P2195, P2197, P0171, P0174, B1318, C1445, U1026. They cleared the codes and told me as soon as the check engine lights comes on, to come in so they can hook it up again. any ideas?
Old 11-22-2010, 15:16   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

When there are that many codes it's best to do as they said. Have you tried it with the MAF unhooked?
Old 11-22-2010, 17:19   #5 (permalink)

Alright check engine light came pack on, and only the first three P codes came up, and they narrowed it down to drivers side first O2 sensor. Also since the new fuel filter was put on, it hasnt done the bucking/shudder at low speeds. Crossing my fingers all is good.
Old 11-22-2010, 18:10   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

These are the possiblities with those codes.

Air leaks after the MAF
Vacuum Leaks
PCV system
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick

EGR System:
Leaking gasket
Stuck EGR valve
Leaking diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine:
Oil overfill
Cam timing
Cylinder compression
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S(s)
Old 11-22-2010, 19:42   #7 (permalink)

So are you saying an O2 sensor is not the case? I already checked for vacuum leaks. Oil is not overfull, and dipstick is fine. No idea what the EGR or EVR is?
Old 11-22-2010, 20:28   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Th O2 sensor just tells what's in the exhaust. They rarely need replacing. The EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) controls the opening and closing of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:17   #9 (permalink)

OK, I really need help. Update on the situation. I drove the car yesterday to work and it went the best it has yet, no problems, ran smooth. When I got ready to leave work at 2am, I started the car to warm it up, started and idled fine. Came out 20 minutes later and the idle was surging up and down again. Pulled out of the parking lot and while accelerating it was bucking violently. Stopped at the stop light and the idle was surging up and down so bad I had to hold one foot on the brake and one on the gas to keep from stalling. I got on the interstate and matted it, and it seemed under powered and then kicked in and got up to 100, backed off to 80 the rest of the way, approximately 15 minutes on interstate, and you could feel a slight miss. Got off the interstate, and it was bucking at around 30mph. Got home put it in park, and the engine was still surging up and down. This morning started it to bring to the garage, and it ran flawlessly all the way, idled fine, drove fine. Garage did not know where to begin as it was running fine. I need this fixed as I am driving a two hour trip tomorrow. Also garage checked for vacuum leaks and could not find any.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:26   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Did you try it with the MAF unhooked? Are there any codes?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71