need help with '85 Crown Vic Radiator - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2005, 08:34   #1 (permalink)

need help with '85 Crown Vic Radiator

HEY!

i have an overheating problem with my 5.0 CV but only when the AV is turned on. My workshop checked it and told me that the radiator is shot or cloged. they wanted 350 for a new one. so i ordered a new one for 120 and want to do it myself. does anyone of you have tips for replacing that biest?

thanks a lot, jan
sniperstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2005, 16:21   #2 (permalink)
That guy

Re: need help with '85 Crown Vic Radiator

Really nothing to it for a 85, you have (4) 7/16" bolts on the fan, them (2) 1/2" bolts then pull the fan and shroud out at the same time. Then you have a drain cock on the lower left, screw it in and let it drain, get lots of water on stan by to delute it. Then disconet the upper and lower hoses. then disconnect the (2) trans lines on the right, one side is 9/16" and the radiatot has 5/8", best to turn the outer one (9/16) so you don't damage the lines. Then you have (2) 9/16" bolts and the thing comes right out. Reverse to install. Also its best to replace the thermostat, its in the houseing of the upper hose on the intake, (2) 1/2" bolts, best to replace the gasket too. Its also best to run a flush kit with 50/50 antifreeze (some prefer 70 antifreeze/30 water). It looks like a lot from the typing, its really a 2 hour job alone, not including flush kit.

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 18:11   #3 (permalink)

85 crown vic easeyer than that remove hoses from top and bottem plus trans. lines from radiator 2 bolts on top of shroud lift up and set back over fan just let it hang there then 2 bolts on the brakets that hold the top of the radiator lift up and remove lest then 1 hour job
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel
Really nothing to it for a 85, you have (4) 7/16" bolts on the fan, them (2) 1/2" bolts then pull the fan and shroud out at the same time. Then you have a drain cock on the lower left, screw it in and let it drain, get lots of water on stan by to delute it. Then disconet the upper and lower hoses. then disconnect the (2) trans lines on the right, one side is 9/16" and the radiatot has 5/8", best to turn the outer one (9/16) so you don't damage the lines. Then you have (2) 9/16" bolts and the thing comes right out. Reverse to install. Also its best to replace the thermostat, its in the houseing of the upper hose on the intake, (2) 1/2" bolts, best to replace the gasket too. Its also best to run a flush kit with 50/50 antifreeze (some prefer 70 antifreeze/30 water). It looks like a lot from the typing, its really a 2 hour job alone, not including flush kit.
wheeler_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 14:31   #4 (permalink)

Hey Guys!!

Thank you veryu much for you help, I got the ordered brand new radiator and removed the old one.
But when fitting the new one in, I had to see that it was about 5 inches too small. DARN!!!
So I reinstalled the old one and refilled antifreeze with water.

The heater didn't work after I had the first overheating.
But one day after I flushed the system the heating works again, but it still overheats.
What could be the problem? still the radiator?
Or are there more things that could be broken other than the radiator?
I just don't want to order a new, FITTING one and have the same problem, because I want to sell the car in 4 weeks because I am leaving the country.

Thanks again,

bye, jan
Old 07-23-2005, 15:00   #5 (permalink)

Oh I noticed another weird thing. I filled up my cooling system and topped it. then I drove around for 30 minutes, let it cool down, opened the rad and I was able to refill it with about 1 gallon of water. Then drove around again and after letting it cool down, added another half gallon or so. WTF? I understand that there are some airbubbles that only go out when the car is driven BUT ABOUT 2 GALLONS WORTH OF BUBBLES / WATER? could it be that since the heater is working again, that there was a massive clog or something that was removed by the flushing and now there was water missing so it overheated? well i'll see how it runs later this evening. have to pick up my GF from work.

Why does it almost only overheat when the vent/AC was completly turned off?

I know its weird...or I still dont understand the principle of the heater/cooling system/ac.

thanks,

jan
Old 08-03-2005, 09:35   #6 (permalink)

Oh well, I guess I'll return the radiator and sell the car. the headgasket seems blown and I am not willing to repair that thing...

thanks for the help,

good bye, jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71