Need help from someone with EFI 302/AOD - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2005, 07:39   #1 (permalink)

Need help from someone with EFI 302/AOD

Can someone with an EFI 302/AOD combo please take a picture of your throttle linkage on your transmission? Not the shifter linkage- the throttle linkage (they're in the same location). I'm extremely curious about something. I need a very clear picture of it, please. I would greatly appreciate it.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2005, 12:50   #2 (permalink)
That guy

Re: Need help from someone with EFI 302/AOD

You mean the kickdown?

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 15:13   #3 (permalink)

Yes. Same thing.

Since the transmission swap, the engine is idling pretty high. I think I was supposed to change out the entire inner part of the kickdown lever, but I didn't and I think that's why- the 351W kick-down is a little bit shorter, so it's holding the kickdown at the wrong angle. I tried to just swap the external arm from the 302 tranny, but it won't work- I'm pretty sure I needed the entire arm assembly from the 302. I must admit, though- it sounds extremely intimidating idling high with that full exhaust system!!

Can you hook me up with a picture?

My Garage
Old 10-11-2005, 16:02   #4 (permalink)
That guy

There should be an adjustment on the kick down arm. But the kick down arm on a 351W (unless its EFI) should not raise the RPMs. All it does is kick the tranny into passing gear at open throttle. Are you sure the tranny just isn't tight or have a corroded torque converter? As for a pic. I still need to buy a new camera. My last one didn't like being thrown across the garage after catching on fire, stupid Ezonics EZ Mega camera :(

Old 10-11-2005, 16:06   #5 (permalink)
That guy

Ah, EFIs idle high with tight trannys. Carb cars run lower. It may be a loose tranny with warn torque converter. How does the tranny feel, or have you not test driven it yet?

Old 10-11-2005, 19:04   #6 (permalink)

It's a brand new torque converter. It runs great driving, but I don't have reverse or OD. I'm thinking, though, that it's due to a step I skipped in the shift kit. I'm going to deal with that this week...

The kickdown arm on the transmissions are different. Even the piece inside the transmission. The piece inside that protrudes to the outside, which is the stud to which the kickdown lever bolts is different between the two- they cause the levers to sit at different angles. I didn't swap the inner piece and the 351W lever (it was carbed) is slightly shorter, so I believe it's holding the throttle open just a little bit, which is what's causing the high idle. Did that make any sense at all?

What do you mean by tight and loose transmissions? When it shifts, it's crisp but not firm... not sure if that helps.

My Chilton transmission pictures aren't detailed enough for me to see what I need to see.

My Garage
Old 10-11-2005, 19:07   #7 (permalink)

Oh... but I've taken on a new developmental research project- a T5 swap. I'll be doing the research and having the custom bracketry fabricated while I gather up the money for the parts. I'm hoping to have it installed by July, so I can go to the dragstrip on the 4th for my birthday.

I just need as much help as I can get straightening out the current transmission so I don't prematurely wear out or straight-up break anything.

My Garage
Old 10-11-2005, 20:50   #8 (permalink)
That guy

When I mean loose is if it feels like your shifting water, as in tight I mean lifting a brick. What vehicle did this tranny come from? A truck? Also what year? I've slapped a 1986 351W tranny with a 1985 302 tranny and all linked right. Your sure you don't have a vacuum line cut or smashed between the tranny and motor (I've done that so many time :) ). I'll take a pic of my linkage tomorrow, but it shouldn't be any differnce unless you have a 1984 or lower tranny.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:01   #9 (permalink)

The transmission came from a 1990 CVPI. It shifts really smoothly when I'm cruising, but when I am on it heavy, it's just firm enough to make me grin. Every time... until third gear, at which point I get slightly discouraged because there's not another gear. Heh.

Does that help your assisted diagnosis?

My Garage
Old 10-14-2005, 16:44   #10 (permalink)
That guy

Darnit freshmeat, why didn't you remind me? I just got the camera to work. I took 4 good pics but no award winners. Hope they help. I also tried to take a pic of my car, but the tape jammed again! I need a new camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10_14_2005 5_31 PM_0001.jpg (64.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 10_14_2005 5_31 PM_00010.jpg (72.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 10_14_2005 5_31 PM_000100.jpg (44.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 10_14_2005 5_31 PM_0001000.jpg (59.9 KB, 17 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71