need to replace oil pan in '94 cv 4.6 eng - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 14:16   #1 (permalink)

Question need to replace oil pan in '94 cv 4.6 eng

i need to replace the oil pan in my '94 Crown Victoria 4.6 eng. does anyone have advice on the steps to take as i understand it requires lifting the engine. i'm just unsure of what i really need to remove before lifting. engine mounts etc are common, but how high do i need it. do i need to remove fuel lines ? hidden ground straps? drain the rad and disconnect the trans lines ? please respond with a website or detailed instructions. Thanks.
jody2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 11:13   #2 (permalink)

Re: need to replace oil pan in '94 cv 4.6 eng

You should get yourself a repair manual, $25. Best money you can spend on your car.

The gist of it is
disconnect battery, drain oil and remove filter. Remove exhaust pipes and support cats. Remove fan shroud and put it over the fan. Remove starter and reinforcement brackets and trans line bracket bolt. loosen but do not remove trans to crossmember bolts. Remove through bolts from eng mounts. raise engine w jack and wood block under pan. place another block between left dexh manifold and frame to support. raise eng from under right side as far as it goes, letting eng twist. support w wood under ex manifold. remove jack.remove pan bolts, dislodge pan, let it hang. reach in between block and pan to remove the pickup bolts and let it all drop into pan. Pickup must be removed or the pan won't come out. Pan comes out thru the front.

You should get yourself a repair manual, its got pics.

Just curious...what's wrong w your pan?
mojo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 14:22   #3 (permalink)

Front of the engine must be raised up to two inches (50mm).
To do this, remove the fan cluch and remove 2 +1 bolts from engene mounts. Also, need to remove two bolts in front of the transmission.
When all bolts, around the oil pan, will removed, lower oil pan and you will have access to two bolts, that hold the oil pump tube inside (two bolts 8mm, near front). Remove these bolts (not easy), leave the oil pump tube inside and remove oil pan (back way). For last step, you must have a distance between transmission and floor, at least 2 feet (0,5m).
CostlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:00   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo46 View Post
You should get yourself a repair manual, $25. Best money you can spend on your car.

The gist of it is
disconnect battery, drain oil and remove filter. Remove exhaust pipes and support cats. Remove fan shroud and put it over the fan. Remove starter and reinforcement brackets and trans line bracket bolt. loosen but do not remove trans to crossmember bolts. Remove through bolts from eng mounts. raise engine w jack and wood block under pan. place another block between left dexh manifold and frame to support. raise eng from under right side as far as it goes, letting eng twist. support w wood under ex manifold. remove jack.remove pan bolts, dislodge pan, let it hang. reach in between block and pan to remove the pickup bolts and let it all drop into pan. Pickup must be removed or the pan won't come out. Pan comes out thru the front.

You should get yourself a repair manual, its got pics.

Just curious...what's wrong w your pan?
i bought the old gal a couple years ago and was informed by my mechanic that the pan has actually rusted through. i'm not surprised as this area has some harsh winter weather and they use alot of salt & sand to clear the roads. i took your advice as far as getting a manual for the car. the gals got 285,000 kms on the original engine and it passed the yearly emissions test just fine. thanks for the reply. this is a great site for owners.
jody2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71