New guy with a couple of problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 13:10   #1 (permalink)

New guy with a couple of problems

First Hi, this looks like a great forum. I own a 94 Grand Marquis and a 68 F-100, the 43 year old one is the best and easiest to fix. The Merc is the best to drive and a nightmare to service. I can't think of any fluid that it doesn't leak.

I have 2 major problems; one is the heater core, I bypassed it a year ago when it started leaking. The haynes manual isn't very clear of the change other that the dash has to be removed. I was surfing the site today and saw where someone had once posted some pic's of the procedure. I'd appreciate it if someone would repost them. I'm a good mechanic but I'm 63, I don't want to get into something that I can't physically finish.

My second problem is how to replace the gasket where the oil filter assy bolts to the block, it's leaking badly. Looks like an easy fix but I can't see the top of it very well because the cooling water return bolts up right above it and the PS pump is in front of it.

I'd appreciate any advise any of you gentlemen and ladies, if any might be able to offer. Thank You.
TonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2011, 17:41   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: New guy with a couple of problems

Hi Tony:
I'm not much help with the heater core diagram except to say that I've had the dash out of our '04 GM and it's a JOB! I'm also 63, but reasonably fit for getting this far, and it's tough working under the dash! Here's a tip, I removed the front seat just to make it easier and was glad that I did.

The oil filter mount assembly is also the same casting as the coolant intake. It bolts onto the block with four 10mm bolts, and R & R is straightforward. Just have fresh "O" rings/gaskets available. The dealer will have them on his parts schematic. It's been several years since I had one of mine apart, but I recall that the gasket was similar to the intake manifold gaskets, plastic with the "O" rings molded in.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 20:41   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The heater core is time comsuming but not that hard to do. I've done them in 3-4 hours. Here's how to do it per Haynes. I'm 68 and did one a month or so ago. I don't pull the dash all the way out. I leave the drivers side wired up and set the dash angled out on the passengers side and the other side almost in place. You'll see whan you do it. Probably see what you could have saved time on but it'll be done. | Repair Guides | Heating And Air Conditioning | Heater Core | AutoZone.com

Bajarider gave the info on the other question.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:06   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Tony:

I forgot to mention that you should carefully check your blend door operation when you have the dash out. Mine was operating properly, but being a firm believer in preventative maintenance, I replaced the motor anyway. The motors are not expensive, and you need to remove the dash (again?) to get to the blend door/motor.

And Bert, thanks for the tip about just just pulling the pass side of the dash out. I hope to never have to do it again, but with four CV and GM's in the "family", I will surely put you tip to good use one day. Your experience is very much appreciated!
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 16:40   #5 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

i access the heater core thru glove box and cut access panel thru he plastic.. then i just assemble a new door with a rubbermaid tote lid to fit over hole and seal... makes replacement easier if needs to be done again

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:20   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the great information. I tried to tighten the bolts on the filter block but it didn't help much. It leaks badly until it heats up then it doesn't leak at all. I had a similar problem with the heater hose that runs under the intake manifold but the fix was a real bear. This is a beautiful car but some of the engineering and design is pure garbage. Like having to remove the dash to replace the heater core and having to drain the cooling system to replace a gasket on the oil filter mount. I'm going to go with the oil filter gasket, it's fairly easy to access. I think, I'll pass on the heater core for now.

One question about the core, though; It appears the the dash removal is solely to allow for access. Would it be easier to remove the passenger aig bag and glove box?
That would give a hole that you could work through. has anyone ever heard of doing it that way?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:45   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I don't see how it can be done any other way. It really isn't that hard, ust time consuming. It's not the only car that nedds the instrument panel removed to replace the core. Many other cars do too.
Old 10-07-2011, 14:03   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Very common on a lot of European cars also for the dash needing to be removed to access heater matrix , entailing major job .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 13:26   #9 (permalink)

One more quick question and I won't bother you guys until I've finished the job;

It looks to me like the return connection at the water pump is higher than the point where it connects to the block at the oil filter mount. Will draining it at the radiator drain the block or does the engine have a block drain? If so where is it?
Thanks again.
Old 10-09-2011, 17:58   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

There us a block drain on each side. It's about level with the starter and takes an allen wrench to remove.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71