New Member! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2001, 23:23   #1 (permalink)
Crown Victoria P72 Member

cool New Member!

Hey whats up? new member here..... Just bought another Police car... A 1991 Crown Vic! Now I'm really confused! (1 Ford, 1 Chevy!) Also figured our what a pain it is to wash them both and keep up with them! Check out my Website!

http://trwchevy9c1.homestead.com

Yes, there are other Police cars other than Chevys on it! I'm going to start a new one for my Ford as soon as I get time....
And some pictures to put on it! Tom!
trwp-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2001, 01:04   #2 (permalink)
Crown Vic P71 Member

Welcome!!!

Welcome to Box body world Tom!! The 91 P72 is a great car! Is yours a 5.0 or a 5.8L? Just a couple of suggestions for you. I would highly recomend finding and Buying the Ford Shop manuals for your car. Helms is the source for the Origional Ford manuals...If they happen to be out of stock? try E-bay! If your car is a 5.8L? You will find nothing of value in the Haynes book for the CV. The Carbed P72 was not even mentioned!! nor is any of the Police Package wiring details. Just a touch of background, The 91 5.8L p72 CV was the first Full-Size Ford Police package that was able to eclipse the 120 MPH mark during the Michigan State Police Vehicles testing....dating back to the Big Block Fords, GM's and Mopars. After the Big Blocks died out, Most if not all of the Big 3 forgot about HP completely. The 5.0L P72 was rated at 160 HP..and the 5.8L is rated at 180 HP.....These figures hold true from 91 on back in regards to both Powerplants. A Civilian CV LX with single exhaust was rated at 150 HP for comparison sake. The 5.8L is plagued with a number of Muscle making drawbacks that can be corrected with time , money and effort. I wont go into details unless you are interested in them later....Plus not knowing which powerplant you have?? Makes it really pointless now. Good Luck to you with your new toy!! Regards, Allen
Old 09-07-2001, 02:00   #3 (permalink)

cool 1991 Crown Vic

Mine is a 5.0 302 It has only 104,000 miles on it. Just picked it up yesterday---so I needed to do a few things--- like a new alternator, and a major clean up! The car is in excellent shape...
I bought it from our Fire Dept. We have had it since 75,000 miles. It is painted white and has red stripes, and the lettering ---so they have to come off---along with the lightbar! They left everything on the car. It has a tan interior, and is in great shape. A friend of mine is going to take the stripes off --- he has a way to get them off with out damaging the paint. I steam cleaned the engine today--looks alot better. starting on the interior tommorow. I think I am going to take the seats out, so I can scrub them and the floor... the rubber mat is in great shape--- just needs scrubbed. It has a bunch of little things that need fixed of course, but shouldn't be that much trouble to do.
The alternator went out, which melted the wiring harness going to it...so I have to find one of those and get the alternator rebuilt.
then it will be drivable.
It was maintained by our county shop even after the fire dept got the car...... It started out as an Escambia County Sheriffs Office.
I'll put up pictures as soon as I get them developed.....
well, gotta go--- at work right now (Police Dept) Tom!
Old 09-07-2001, 02:38   #4 (permalink)
Crown Vic P71 Member

Cool!!

Tom, The alternator issue is very minor....however, take it from an old Ford hand. Do Not Buy a rebuilt from anyone other than Ford itself!!!!! trust me.!!!....unless annual practice replacing Alternators is just a cheap thrill you need in your life.....The Plastic Connector plug to the alternator was a likely source of the initial problem.....I just replaced mine last week....and the alternator too...Second time around in two years....The first one was from Pep Boys....A real Bow Wow!!......I am not an expert on the 5.0 EFI Cars...but I know my way around the CV. I also have the books ..If you run into a jam?? and need some advice.....My 88 P72 was a KY. State Police Unit.(un-marked) I have done everything to this car. It's repainted....Restored....and upgraded everywhere....The rubber floors are new OEM carpet....The seats are now Leather/Electric CV seats.....and all traces of it's usage are gone....I'm building a 300 HP 351 HO from a 91 P72 for it!!! The current Motor is OK mechanically....but far from my desired goals......I may be getting a 3rd CV soon....I have my eye on a 89 P72....with a Mustang HO Engine set-up...and other upgrades......keep in touch. Allen
Old 09-20-2001, 01:28   #5 (permalink)

Door Jambs

Hey just put a new message in here---Have you had problems with rust in the "A" pillar? check out my new post on the subject--let me know what you think, or if you have any ideas on the subject....... Tom W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71