Newbie about to purchase used 98'-06' C.V. P71 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 08:47   #1 (permalink)

Newbie about to purchase used 98'-06' C.V. P71

I'm looking into purchasing a used police crown vic in the near future. I plan on buying one at auction here at work. I have always driven this type of vehicle for work, but never had to deal with cost of replair or any other problems because collin county would fix it at their service center. With that in mind, what are common things I should look for before bidding/buying? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
mrb63083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2006, 09:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: Newbie about to purchase used 98'-06' C.V. P71

If it's a 2000 or older models the all-plastic (composite) intake manifold can be a problem. They rupture/burst/crack and belch all the coolant out in a matter of seconds. Some models are covered by an extended warranty from Ford and some are not. See this link for much info on the intake problem...

Autoclinix.com: Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Intake Manifold Repair

2003 models seem to have a LOT of silent recalls, tsb's, etc. Ford changed many things on the 2003 models and they seem to have more problems than 2004+ models and pre-2003 models in general.

2001 and up models have more horsepower due to the use of PI (performance improved) heads which were the same as those used on Mustang GT's.

Personally, I'd look to get a 2001 or 2002 model because they have the PI heads and the cars themselves are somewhat lighter than the 2003-up models. Of course, a newer unit might have less miles and that is definitely something to consider.

Some of the common repairs are pretty easy and not too expensive if you do them yourself. Here are some examples...

Front brakes...
Autoclinix.com - Ford Crown Victoria / Mercury Grand Marquis Front Brake Rebuild Instructions

Tie rods...
Autoclinix.com - Ford Crown Victoria / Mercury Grand Marquis Tie Rod Replacement Instructions

Let us know what you end up getting...
sheebeehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:38   #3 (permalink)

You learn something new everyday, thanks. I'll keep yall updated on the purchase. Thanks again.

Anybody else, please feel free to chime in on any other info you think might be applicable.

-Marshall
mrb63083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:26   #4 (permalink)

Since I picked my CVPI up 3 months ago (2000 model w/ 122K miles), I've replaced the brakes at all 4 corners, the heater core, and the front sway bar end links. It's come to a little under $400 in parts and I've done all the labor myself. As far as I'm concerned these are all wear items that just need replacing on a high-mileage car (except the heater core... I just lucked out on that one )

I've also flushed the oil, coolant, and bled the brakes, but that's something I do first thing on every car I buy. All in all the car runs like a champ, rides really nice, and I like it. Considering the years and miles that have been put on it by the City of Tampa police force, I'd say it's held up pretty well.

I would say just drive one before you buy. Pay attention to noises, smells (something that would have warned me of my heater core leak), the way the steering wheel and pedals feel, the shift feel, etc. I got mine at a dealer that only sells CVPI's, and I crawled around and under probably a dozen cars looking for one with no signs of leaks too. Look under the front for signs of leaking oil, coolant, and power steering fluid, and check the bottom of the diff housing for signs of leaks there. I have to say most of the cars I looked at had some sign of leakage somewhere.
Jimmy2Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 17:25   #5 (permalink)

for a good crown vic give these guys a try they usually have one or two in stock and they are all fixed up and painted.
Power Auto Sales
smallblockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71