Ford Forums banner

Newbie question - 87 Grand Marquis Fuel Sender

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  87_Crown_Vic 
#1 ·
Greetings all,

I have an 87 Grand Marquis in the Home Fleet that I recently bought off of an estate with 45k miles. Generally, it is very good condition.

I'm really having a problem with the fuel sender. Locally I've only been able to source a new sender from the dealer. My guess is that I am getting NOS parts that were manufactured prior to ethanol fuel.

We've put three new senders in between myself and the original owner in the last three years. The fiber board swells up within 24 hours and jams the sender.

I've tried locating a sender from a different vendor like Dorman with no luck. I am hesitant about putting a generic unit in with the cam locking ring. A fuel leak - I don't need.

Has anyone else run into this and solved the issue? Are there other senders that cross reference into these old beauties?

TIA - Hopefully I haven't broken any forum rules on my first post.

:)

Greg

05 Mustang GT
03 Expedition
87 Grand Marquis LS
59 Ford F100

See less See more
#2 ·
fiber board in sending unit? are you talking about the float setup that tells you how much fuel is in the tank? usually a float and gasket is all that is needed... i have never changed a sending unit... just changed floats... pics of problem would be helpful to see your issue and what you are talking about...

#3 ·
Hey 87_Crown_Vic,

a.) Good Looking Ride

b.) I neglected to update this post and I have updates.

* Talked at length with the folks from TriStarrRadiator about rebuilding my Float Unit. As this was the 3rd Sending Unit to fail, I had assumed that the rheostat had jammed again. The folks at TriStarrRadiator are good folks by the way.

* My mechanic pulled the sending unit and it was not jammed up like the previous two had been. Checked the ohms and we had a range of 6 ohms(?) to 76 ohms. It was just inside the tolerances.

* Only two other things it can be: The Guage itself, or the regulator on the guage.

* Mechanic sourced the regulator and replaced it. Gauge now works, albeit about a quarter high. And the Low Fuel light works when you really are running low.

* I can't find the replacement gauge and my dash cluster is getting frail so we are going to see if the now working float and new regulator hold up. As long as it is consistent, I can live with it as is.

* Rebuilding the gauge looks to be astronomical so I'm holding off on that as long as I can.

Regards,

Greg

#4 ·
glad to see you got the problem fixed...

the ride in the signature was my project car i had plans for... my ex g/f and me broke up and she wouldnt let me have any of my stuff back... low and behold she got rid of the car in signature along with the same year and color parts car i had for it that was also a 2 door... i am currently in small claims court about her not letting me get my stuff and getting rid of my cars since they disappeared... i am currently getting a 1989 Crown Vic so i WILL own a box body once again since i havent owned one now for about a year because of her...

#6 ·
only the one 2 door was titled to my name... other was a parts car and was bought as parts only... so i have only power about 1 car going along with all my Earnhardt Sr. memorbilia i have collected, tools, and other stuff... my ex g/f is already in trouble for using a credit card not hers for purchases over $200... i will talk about this if asked in PM since i dont wanna thread jack the post...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.