Re: Newbie question - 87 Grand Marquis Fuel Sender
a.) Good Looking Ride
b.) I neglected to update this post and I have updates.
* Talked at length with the folks from TriStarrRadiator about rebuilding my Float Unit. As this was the 3rd Sending Unit to fail, I had assumed that the rheostat had jammed again. The folks at TriStarrRadiator are good folks by the way.
* My mechanic pulled the sending unit and it was not jammed up like the previous two had been. Checked the ohms and we had a range of 6 ohms(?) to 76 ohms. It was just inside the tolerances.
* Only two other things it can be: The Guage itself, or the regulator on the guage.
* Mechanic sourced the regulator and replaced it. Gauge now works, albeit about a quarter high. And the Low Fuel light works when you really are running low.
* I can't find the replacement gauge and my dash cluster is getting frail so we are going to see if the now working float and new regulator hold up. As long as it is consistent, I can live with it as is.
* Rebuilding the gauge looks to be astronomical so I'm holding off on that as long as I can.