Newbie question-how to change coolant on 03 crn vic? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 07:44   #1 (permalink)

Newbie question-how to change coolant on 03 crn vic?

I have a clean 03 crn vic sport that I bought 2 yrs ago and want to change its coolant. I know this is basic to many but what is the exact procedure for changing the coolant on this vehicle? I dont just want to open the radiator drain and refill so am asking for step by step for this vehicle. Thanks in advance.
outdoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 12:24   #2 (permalink)
Junior Herb

Re: Newbie question-how to change coolant on 03 crn vic?

I plan to change mine as well. I usually drain the radiator and fill with 50/50 antifreeze on my other cars. I know there's still old antifreeze in the motor, but without cycling the engine or forcing the antifreeze out by applying a water hose to one of the inlet hoses on the car you will never get it all out.
ToxicAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:51   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

There's a fitting that can be installed in the heater hose to connect a garden hose to and run water through the system. Remove the thermostat and reinstall the housing when you do. I usually run water through the heater core to flush it out too.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 15:39   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
There's a fitting yhat can be installed in the heater hose to connect a garden hose to and run water through the system. Remove the thermostat and reinstall the housing when you do. I usually run water through the heater core to flush it out too.

Ok, I would like to try this process; even bought the prestone flush kit but am unsure which of the 2 hoses to install the flush T into. both hoses are disappear to rear of engine compartment so closely that I cant see where they go. Can someone tell me?
outdoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 16:23   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

They both go into the heater core. You can connect to either one.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:38   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Newbie question-how to change coolant on 03 crn vic?

2003 up is Motorcraft Gold Coolant. Either get some at the dealer, or find Zerex G-05 at a local parts store. Napa does have it, the color will be more of a honey brown color instead of the yellow gold of the original. Do not use any other color or that any make any color crap.

Here it is, the label will be slightly different then pictured, but the bottle will be the same color.

Store Locator | NAPA Online

Advance also has this, it will be more of an orange color but it meets most requirements for long life silicate/phosphate free coolants.

Advance Auto Parts: Advance Cool™ Antifreeze/Coolant (1 Gallon) by Advance Auto Parts - Part A131
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:08   #7 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Newbie question-how to change coolant on 03 crn vic?

Draining - All
1. Release the pressure in the cooling system by slowly turning the pressure relief cap one-half turn counterclockwise. When the pressure is released remove the pressure relief cap.
2. Place a suitable container below the radiator draincock and drain the radiator.
3. Close the radiator drain cock

Filling - Bleeding 4.6L (2V)
1. Remove the thermostat.
2. Disconnect the heater core coolant supply hose from the fitting at the rear of the manifold.

3. Add the coolant/water mixture through the thermostat opening until coolant appears at the heater core coolant supply outlet fitting at the rear of the manifold.
4. Install the heater hose, using an appropriately sized worm style clamp in place of the constant tension clamp.
5. Reinstall the thermostat gasket (O-ring) and the thermostat.
6. Add the correct engine coolant mixture to the degas bottle until the coolant level is between the COOLANT FILL LEVEL marks and replace the pressure cap.
7. Select the maximum heater temperature and blower motor speed settings. Position the control to discharge air at the A/C vents in the instrument panel.
8. Run the engine until it reaches operating temperature.
9. CAUTION: If air discharge remains cool and the engine coolant temperature gauge does not move, the engine coolant level is low in the engine and must be filled. Stop the engine, allow it to cool and fill the cooling system.
Add the correct engine coolant mixture to the degas bottle until the coolant level is between the "COOLANT FILL LEVEL" marks
10. Repeat the two previous steps until the engine coolant mixture is between the "COOLANT FILL LEVEL" marks on the degas bottle. Turn off the engine and allow it to cool.

Filling - Bleeding 4.6L (4V) - Marauder Only

1. Remove the coolant bleed plug from the coolant bypass tube
2. Disconnect the heater core coolant supply hose

3. Add the coolant/water mixture through the water bypass tube opening until coolant appears at the heater core coolant supply hose.
4. Install the heater hose, using an appropriately sized worm-style clamp in place of the constant tension clamp.

5. Install the water bypass bleed plug
6. Add the correct engine coolant mixture to the degas bottle until the coolant level is between the "COOLANT FILL LEVEL" marks and install the pressure cap.
7. Select the maximum heater temperature and blower motor speed settings. Position the control to discharge air at the A/C vents in the instrument panel.
8. Run the engine until it reaches operating temperature.
9. CAUTION: If air discharge remains cool and the engine temperature gauge does not move, the engine coolant level is low and must be filled. Stop the engine, allow it to cool and fill the cooling system.
Add the correct engine coolant mixture to the degas bottle until the coolant level is between the "COOLANT FILL LEVEL" marks and install the pressure cap.
10. Repeat the two previous steps until the engine coolant mixture is between the "COOLANT FILL LEVEL" marks on the degas bottle. Turn off the engine and allow it to cool.

Last edited by tbird100636; 11-14-2010 at 17:24. Reason: Added Marauder to 4V heading to prevent confusion
Old 11-14-2010, 16:36   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

None of our Crown Vic have a bleeder like that, and we've had Crown Vics every year from 1992-2008. Maybe only the civilian models. Even our 2008 don't have a bleeder.
Old 11-14-2010, 17:22   #9 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Newbie question-how to change coolant on 03 crn vic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
None of our Crown Vic have a bleeder like that, and we've had Crown Vics every year from 1992-2008. Maybe only the civilian models. Even our 2008 don't have a bleeder.
That's for the Marauder 4V Engine Burt. I assumed ToxicAdam has a Marauder by his Avatar and mentioning he wanted to service his cooling system.
Old 11-14-2010, 19:04   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
That's for the Marauder 4V Engine Burt. I assumed ToxicAdam has a Marauder by his Avatar and mentioning he wanted to service his cooling system.
I didn't think of that. It's good to get all the information before doing the job.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71