Newbie Technical Q's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-01, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Crown Victoria P71 Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: 247used.com
Posts: 30
Question Newbie Technical Q's

Hi all,

What a great site! I recently picked up a 95 CV P71 with 157K. There are some things that need fixing. I need your expertise with following:

1. "Air bag" light is flashing code 41. What does that mean?
2. Power steering is cutting in and out as I turn the wheel. Would it be the PS pump or the bearing? How can I eliminate one or the other? I'm told CV doesn't have rack and pinion.
3. I have 2 holes on the roof of the car from the cop lights. Where can I get some kind of rubber plug to seal these holes? I phone around and had no luck. Please be specific.
4. Can I use mineral spirits to remove decal glue? Will it dull the paint?
5. Is the speedometer electric or cable driven? Mine is not working and I'm suspecting that this wire might have been cut by accident.
6. What technical manual would you recommend for CV? Does Ford sell them? Where can I get one?
7. I have metal brackets for the push bumper in the front. Where could I get the rubber pads for the brackets?

I know this is lots of questions for the first time. But Im handy with the tools and very excited to tackle the project.

Regards,
Peter


www.247used.com - FREE picture classifieds

'01 Crown Vic P71
'98 Taurus
kalmos is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-01, 06:49 PM
Grand Muckety Muck
 
Trey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SpoCompton
Age: 35
Posts: 710
Re: Newbie Technical Q's

Quote:
Originally posted by kalmos
Hi all,

What a great site! I recently picked up a 95 CV P71 with 157K. There are some things that need fixing. I need your expertise with following:

1. "Air bag" light is flashing code 41. What does that mean?
Probably means the sensor for the air bag has been disconnected...but being a police car, that wouldn't surprise me much.
Quote:
2. Power steering is cutting in and out as I turn the wheel. Would it be the PS pump or the bearing? How can I eliminate one or the other? I'm told CV doesn't have rack and pinion.
More than likley it's the pump. Alot of the ford P/S pumps seem to do this.
Quote:
3. I have 2 holes on the roof of the car from the cop lights. Where can I get some kind of rubber plug to seal these holes? I phone around and had no luck. Please be specific.
When I took off the rear wiper I had on the Probe, I had a large hole in the trunk lid. I used a body trim piece, kinda like a large plastic screw. I took the screw part off, leaving just the top part. Painted it the color of the car, and used a clear silicone to seal it and hold it in place. Worked like a charm.
Quote:
4. Can I use mineral spirits to remove decal glue? Will it dull the paint?
You can, but I'd recommend a bumper sticker remover. They're a bit safer for the paint. If you do use mineral spirits, make sure to test on a small unnoticable part of the car...just in case.
Quote:
5. Is the speedometer electric or cable driven? Mine is not working and I'm suspecting that this wire might have been cut by accident.
'95 *should* be electrical.....the only way to know for sure is look in a manual, or take off the instrument cluster and see what's plugged into the back.
Quote:
6. What technical manual would you recommend for CV? Does Ford sell them? Where can I get one?
By far the Ford Service Manual is the best there is. It also costs the part, usually in the $70 to $90 range. You can pick up a Haynes or Chilton's manual for the car. Typically $12 to $17 at most parts stores.
Quote:
7. I have metal brackets for the push bumper in the front. Where could I get the rubber pads for the brackets?
I honestly do not know the answer to this one...you may try somewhere like carparts.com. Otherwise, I'm sure we could all help you find them. :D
Quote:
I know this is lots of questions for the first time. But Im handy with the tools and very excited to tackle the project.

Regards,
Peter
Not a problem, hope I helped some...:thumbup:

I have a full tank of Unleaded...
1994 PGT
5 liters and 12 cylinders of fury....
Trey is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-01, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Crown Victoria P71 Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: 247used.com
Posts: 30
Can I replace the power steering pump with a pump from a civilian CV?

www.247used.com - FREE picture classifieds

'01 Crown Vic P71
'98 Taurus
kalmos is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-01, 12:17 PM
Grand Marquis Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 7
metal brackets and/or rubber pads

I have occasionally seen metal brackets and/or rubber pads for the push bumpers advertised on e-bay auctions. You might want to keep an eye out there.
mjschu is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-01, 12:56 PM
Multi Car Owner
 
Marqman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 930
Assuming the air bags are all intact, wouldn't a disconnected sensor make them go BOOM???

Tim
70 Camaro SS // 87 Mustang GT Conv - 119k
93 Z71 - 264k // 01 P71 - 87k // 05 Dodge Magnum R/T - 122k
Marqman is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-01, 10:46 PM
Grand Muckety Muck
 
Trey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SpoCompton
Age: 35
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally posted by kalmos
Can I replace the power steering pump with a pump from a civilian CV?
Yes. Should go in without a problem, but jsut to make sure, take your old one in and compare with the one on the shelf. Make sure all hose connections and mountiing points are the same.

I have a full tank of Unleaded...
1994 PGT
5 liters and 12 cylinders of fury....
Trey is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-01, 10:50 PM
Grand Muckety Muck
 
Trey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SpoCompton
Age: 35
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally posted by Marqman
Assuming the air bags are all intact, wouldn't a disconnected sensor make them go BOOM???
No, what if for some reason you lost all electrical power? That would suck if everytime you lost power for whatever reason the air bags blew.

Usually, if the sensors are disconnected, they are just not getting power, and the 'puter sees this and tells you that the Air Bag sensors need to be fixed (or reconnected).

I have a full tank of Unleaded...
1994 PGT
5 liters and 12 cylinders of fury....
Trey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Galaxie Technical Information Request LunaticSVT Fairlane | Torino 0 05-22-03 10:06 PM
Herrod Motorsport for a newbie esky The Pub 2 01-03-03 03:59 PM
Technical Section THE DOCTOR The Pub 8 07-01-01 02:15 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome