Oil Cooler Line Leaking - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 15:24   #1 (permalink)

Oil Cooler Line Leaking

I have a oil leak on my 96 ex cop car crown vic. After pulling off the under engine shroud it looks like its leaking in 2 places associated with the oil cooling hoses coming from the oil filter adapter going to the radiator. About 3 inches from the oil filter adapter on both the blue and red hoses there is a "swivel" connection that looks like it's needed so the hoses don't twist when tightening. This is where it looks like I have a leak on the red hose. When I pull off the clip at the "swivel" connection I can move the hose inside and out a little and see oil drip out. When I run the engine it does leak there. Is there a gasket or gromet in there to replace or is the entire hose in need of replacing? Also it looks like both hoses are a unit. The other leak looks it is at the other end of the red hose where the rubber mates up to the metal attachment bolting to the radiator. Also is this above the oil pan enough where I don't have to drain the oil? Is this a common problem with crown Vic's? Just thought I'd ask before taking the whole thing off. Thanks.
jeririah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009, 16:44   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Oil Cooler Line Leaking

In most cases, the O'rings leak. After 13 years, I'd replace the hoses. There are 2 of them held in by the same bolt on each end. All the hoses I've done were all black. Someone may have changed them to an aftermarket. They come out easily and the only oil you'll get is what's in the hoses.
Old 11-29-2009, 21:53   #3 (permalink)

Does anyone know what other Ford vehicle with a 4.6 V8 in 1996 would have been using a oil cooler going from the the oil filter housing to the radiator other than the police crown vic? The replacement part from Autoselect has 2 plug in type ends on both hose ends that requires just a bolt to hold it into place on both the oil filter side and the radiator side. The hose assembly I have on the car has this setup on the radiator side but the 2 hoses going into the oil filter housing has a thread assembly each which needs to be tightened with a wrench into place. The hoses thread right into the oil filter housing and it looks like someone used plumbers tape on this to keep it from leaking. We tried looking up different years for this car and they kept coming up with the same part number with the 2 plug in type ends. I'm wondering if this engine was from a Mercury or maybe a truck. I looked at a junkyard this weekend but no Ford vehicle there had a oil cooler setup going to the radiator like the police vehicles. Does anyone know if these police cars might have had 2 different oil cooler hose configurations in 1996?
Old 11-29-2009, 22:23   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

They only had one type. Someone must have modified the original setup.
Old 12-08-2009, 17:54   #5 (permalink)

Follow Up- I looked all over the internet and every Auto Store in town for a replacement oil cooler hose assembly like mine. I even went to a custom hose shop which suggested I go the Ford dealer which lo and behold had my hose assembly picture on their computer. The Ford man told me that to replace this assembly, you would have to either buy a tool from Matco or Snap on or take it to a Auto repair shop that would use the tool to insert into the couplings to seperate them from the rest of the hoses. Then you would need to retain the 2 coupling ends and replace the 2 oil rings which go over each hose at $1.50 a piece. This is considering your springs are ok when you seperated the couplings from the hoses. Now the 2 hose assembly cost $150.00 from Ford to finish the job but you should be able to join them together with your existing couplings once the couplings are cleaned up. It was suggested to me to just plug the oil filter housing which you don't need since this police car does not see the intense service it once did. This just took (2) plumbing 1/2" NPT plugs from the local hardware store (buy the black ones, not the galvinized ones because the galvinized ones will crumble and break apart) at .50 cent a piece and a little pipe tape and it works great. I have no leaks, good oil pressure, and it cost a couple of bucks. You can do it the factory way or the cheap mans way.
Old 12-08-2009, 18:02   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that it's fixed and didn't cost a bunch.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71