Old versus New?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2001, 13:45   #1 (permalink)
Crown Victoria Member

I have a 93 CV...looking at two options...an older restored model (Sweet car..
white, early 80's....) or a NEW Crown Vic...Money is not the issue...
I am a single professional, so how does an older car compare??
Anyone?
VS
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2001, 14:03   #2 (permalink)
Explorer Member

Victoria,

The older CV's had troubles in a few areas as the got older - the intake gaskets leaked non-stop - and were very difficult to fix - and the also had emissions troubles - they carboned up a lot which would starve the engine for fuel and cause ring and cylinder wall damage - causing them to burn oil and lose compression. Sometimes a sweet old car is a lot of hidden troubles that you may not want to deal with.

The new CV's are the best value for the money! The 4.6 engine has been tested and is very reliable. It's the last of the real full sized rear wheel drive cars. I think you'd love the ride and the room.

Let me know what you choose!

Good luck,
Anne

"Life's too short to drive slow!"
My first name is Anne - was a Ford Dealer Service Manager for 11 years. Waiting for my new Expedition to come in (woo hoo!)
Sweens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 11:56   #3 (permalink)
Crown Victoria P71 Member

I have both types... a 1995 P71 car and a 1987 police package vehicle with the 5.0L EFI engine. There are positives and negatives to both. I like the interior room of the older cars more, but the interior details are nice in the newer cars (by newer I mean up to 1997 or so.)

I liked the 5.0 EFI engine a ton better than the 4.6L. I have 234,000 miles on my 87 and 194,000 on my 95. Both engines have held up great, but the 87 gets the car down the road a lot better. Also, it's easier to find mod parts for a 5.0L than for a 4.6L.

But at the end of the day, I like the styling of the 95 better than that of the 87... but that's a personal preference thing.
Bruzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 16:55   #4 (permalink)
VicMan95LX

A single professional huh? No need to worry over me, I'm there for you! E-mail me.. :wink2:
Old 05-09-2001, 18:46   #5 (permalink)
Crown Vic P71 Member

Judgement call

I have both styles of CV Police packages as well....My 93 P71 is my daily driver..and it serves me well and cost effectively....My 88 P72 is a Carbed 351W..This is my project Vehicle that I am taking to extreme levels....I have Completely Gutted the origional Interior in favor of a Leather Interior with all the goodies a top of the line LX model would have....The(spare) Motor is being modified in every respect...It will be Bored out .060 Over...A Very Hot Cam has been Custom Ground by Holman and Moody for it....The Crank is being Custom milled and balanced by them as well....The 2BBL Carb (7200VV) is History...The stock heads are being canned in favor of High Flow GT-40 Heads...The Holley 4 BBL Carb and Edlebrock Itake are Purchased and awaiting the machine work on the Block to be done as well....The Car is going to be painted very soon....I love the ride of the Older CV's vs. the Newer ones....But in a stock vs. stock comparison for day to day use I would have to lean toward the Newer 4.6L Cars....If modding is your thing ?....Go with a 5.0 are an even better 5.8L(351W) for that task.......Allen
Old 05-11-2001, 14:55   #6 (permalink)
Crown Victoria P71 Member

Wink New. Definitely, new.

I like the older boxy cars, but I have to say the new ones offer a whole lot. There have been a lot of significant advances since the 80's in automobile safety technology. I know the old cars are tough as hell, but I guess I'd much rather have an airbag in front of me. I know some people aren't too keen on airbags and I understand. I also think (with the exception of the urine colored headlights) the 92 and up cars look very good.

My vote would be for a 97 or newer if HP is your thing.

Post pictures and show us what you get!

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71