Overheating and Loss of power in my 92 vic - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2006, 04:46   #1 (permalink)

Overheating and Loss of power in my 92 vic

i have a 92 crown vic and problem with it over heating shortly into my drive. 15 minutes into my drive i notice the temp gauge is higher then normal and by 20 to 25 mins later im haveing to pull over.its an even shorter drive if i turn the a/c on.also when i hit the gas at first theres no power then it jerks and kicks in. ive had my thermestat changed and it wasnt that can somebody help me i really want my car to start running right.
IluvMyVickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2006, 01:58   #2 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

Re: Overheating and Loss of power in my 92 vic

Your radiator is stopped up or the hoses are collapsing. Of course you could have gotten a bad thermostat too.
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 16:44   #3 (permalink)

so do u think if i get my radiator flushed and my hoses changed out it could help????
Old 06-04-2006, 19:40   #4 (permalink)

Take out the thermostat first and put all of it back together and see if it has any flow,or if it gets as hot in the same short distance .If it does then go looking to get the radiator cooked out. If one is stopped up that bad a flush ain't gonna cut it.The third thing to check is the hoses, see if they are real soft and flimsy feeling or cracked .If they are then go ahead and replace them. I know that this seems like alot but it beats a new engine if it locks up from the heat. Also has the car got power when you first start out and its not hot yet or is it just when it gets hot?
Old 06-05-2006, 08:28   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoder
Take out the thermostat first and put all of it back together and see if it has any flow,or if it gets as hot in the same short distance .If it does then go looking to get the radiator cooked out. If one is stopped up that bad a flush ain't gonna cut it.The third thing to check is the hoses, see if they are real soft and flimsy feeling or cracked .If they are then go ahead and replace them. I know that this seems like alot but it beats a new engine if it locks up from the heat. Also has the car got power when you first start out and its not hot yet or is it just when it gets hot?

I dont mind doing all that if its gonna keep me from buying a new engine... ummm when it comes to the power its purty much thru tha whole drive. like when i hit the gas to go up a hill or to go when the light turns green itll give a little jerk then its like it catches the rigt gear.i had my transmission checked and it was fine i was told that it was some miss fireing in myengine when it gets to certain gears. what do u think??
Old 06-06-2006, 21:34   #6 (permalink)

My 92 did the same thing. It turned out to be a break in the connection on the coil pack. It did it intermittenly. But,probably the throttle position sensor is going bad. Unplug it and then go for a short test drive and see if anything changes.I thought my tranny was history,but, it turned out to be the TPS. The computer diagnostic check didn't show a problem. When I unplugged it (to test, and forgot to hook back up)the thing ran much better. The gears changed the way it was supposed to.The TPS can screw up alot of things. But the radiator thing is apparently unrelated to the performance this particular time. Go ahead and have the system cooked out.There is a way to flush the system without disassembly, they do it under pressure and it also changes the coolant too. But ,if you take the thermostat out and test drive it you can rule out stopped up radiator(with no thermostat and still running hot ,generally it will be the radiator). Be sure to top it off with water after the removal and before the test drive
Old 06-24-2006, 18:21   #7 (permalink)
Wrench Hound

Also, misfiring, preignition, etc can cause overheat issues over longer distances, but not normally to such an extent. Also, while your engine is at operating temp, check your radiator opening for bubbling, frothiness, and a smell of petroleums (gas, burned gas, oily smells, etc), which might be a good indicator of a cracked head gasket or warped head. Just a bit more info and suggestions to help out.
_JunkY4rdD4wg_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:33   #8 (permalink)
01 CROWN VIC

last night I experienced the same thing in my 01' CV, erratic temp gauge and loss of power. What was the problem?
prometheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71