p71 cel and other probs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2006, 12:49   #1 (permalink)

biggrin p71 cel and other probs

Hello everyone. Its a shame to meet like this but here is my situation.

2000 CVPI 88,000 miles with these problems.

1. When I drive along occaisonally the tranny feels like it is slipping, usually when I am in OD and coast down in speed. When I give light throttle it feels like it is slipping in and out of gear, more throttle makes it downshift and no problems. I have noticed this once or twice when passing people. I have checked the ATF and the level is good and the fluid looks brand new.

2. Miss in engine at idle. Last night the check engine light came on. I have only observed this miss when its damp out, but I live in Michigan so that is like 80% of the time. Can I jump two prongs on my engine diagnostic lead under the hood and read my codes at the CEL like I used to on my taurus? If so which two prongs do I need to jump?

3. Crappy mileage. My personal best in 1000 miles is 19, with an average around 16. My f'ing 4wd 9000 pound truck gets better mileage that this! If I can't get at least 22 mpg from this thing it's going to the auction block! I really don't want it to be that way.

Any help would be appreciated or if you just want to make fun of me that's cool too I guess.
thehamstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2006, 06:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: p71 cel and other probs

I guess nodody here likes me...

I did a lot of research here and at crownvic.net and have come up with the following:

1. a misfire can feel just like a tranny problem on the CV. I'll change my plugs and wires and get a coil swap it around and see if i can find a miss at one of the COP's

2. It COULD be the DPFE, IAC, or TPS. I'll hold off on sensors for now unless the codes point me towards one.

Any comments/ suggestions?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:33   #3 (permalink)

Is that city mileage, mixed, or highway? For mixed driving, 16-19 is about all you can expect. Highway mileage should be more like 24-27.

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2bbl Carbureted 351W V8, ported and polished E7TE heads, Edelbrock cam
AOD Transmission with B&M Shift Kit
3.55:1 Positraction Rear Axle
Visit My Car Domain Account Here Updated 1/27/07!
Nathan in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:43   #4 (permalink)

Hey...have the codes read at a good shop and save yourself the headache. I washed my engine and had similar problems to yours...it turned out to be the throttle position sensor on mine. It was causing cel and similar tranny and throttle problems that you describe. The coil packs go sh..house with moisture sometimes as well. Back to the original solution....take it in for a good accurate diagnosis and save money in the long run.
jason
03P71alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 13:53   #5 (permalink)

Well instead of going to a good shop I went to autobone and got the codes read. I watched it and the only code was P0305, #5 cylinder misfire. I haven't had a chance to check the wire yet but I DIDNT get a COP because they were $60 each--HOLY CRAP. Now I remember why I stopped getting fords, too many damn codes and problems!

Old 10-18-2006, 16:29   #6 (permalink)

Question Re: p71 cel and other probs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan in MN
Is that city mileage, mixed, or highway? For mixed driving, 16-19 is about all you can expect. Highway mileage should be more like 24-27.
Well the 16 to 19 is mixed country roads and small towns.

On my problems. The coil boot and spring look really good. The bad news is that the #5 plug hole is filled to the top of the plug with coolant. I noticed the tstat housing has been seeping a little coolant so that could be the problem. It could also be the coolant crossover tube going I guess. Any easy way to tell if that is bad?
Old 10-29-2006, 13:32   #7 (permalink)

Well I replaced the intake with the new design. I couldn't see any crack in the old one, but it was near its life expectancy anyways, so I figured that changing it would be prudent. The coolant in the plug hole, check engine light, and miss in the engine are all gone.

Bad new is the tranny is still angering me. Cruising in town or around curves at 30-35 mph gives it fits. It keeps trying to shift between 2nd and 3rd and not really going into either. Shifting to 2nd manually or giving more throttle eliminates the problem. I also noticed that a WOT take off feels really weird. Not exactly a slip, it just seems like it doesn't know when to shift.

any ideas? I suspect TPS, but don't know how to test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71