p71 radiator cooling fan - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 17:23   #1 (permalink)

confused p71 radiator cooling fan

i have a 2009 p71, and the radiator cooling fan will not turn on at all. this is with and without a/c turned on. i unplugged the control module(mounted on the fan shroud) on the fan side. i jumped the fan directly to battery, and it runs. i unplugged module on other side, and have current to it. i then jumped both plugs together and fan runs. but when i jumped plugs together, ignition was off and i still had power. both plugs have only a black and a red wire, but plug on module side has a small wire just looped in and out of plug. i know fan runs and i know i have power to module, so am suspecting control module is bad. is this correct and is there any other thing i need to try.
bdunegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 06:20   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: p71 radiator cooling fan

Could be, I'm sending a link of what should be the schematic for your fans. As noted in the schematic (and most of the relays controlled by the PCM, the PCM breaks the ground or neutral, not the hot. So find the neutral to the relay and short it to ground and your fan runs, it's your PCM.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:21   #3 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Sorry, forgot the link.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/th...52_cooling.gif
Old 10-14-2012, 17:54   #4 (permalink)

confused Re: p71 radiator cooling fan

wasnt necessarily thinking bad PCM but was leaning more toward the cooling fan motor relay that mounts to the fan shroud itself. it has a plug on one side from the pcm and another on the other side for the fan. i have power to the plug on the pcm side, but none coming through the control relay for the fan. i hook fan up direct and it runs so i know it is good. i jump wires(black and red) to both plugs and fan runs, just not getting any power through the relay to turn fan on. this is on a 2009 crown vic p71 with 76000 miles on it.
bdunegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 18:22   #5 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

If you know you're lighting the relay and the fans don't work, sounds like you need a new relay. Sorry to state the obvious.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:17   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Hello:
Check both the high speed and low speed relays before assuming the problem is the PCM. PCM's are expensive.

Since the fan doesn't run with the A/C on, first suspect one of the relays or wiring connectors, probably the high speed relay, then check ground circuits and connections between the PCM and relays (you have already determined that you have hot to the fan).

Just to be sure, I would also disconnect the coolant temp sensor. I THINK the fan should default with the sensor disconnected, it does on my '09 Mustang and '05 CV.

(Sorry to chime in so late on this, but I have been away from home and the internet for several weeks).
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71