Paint Job - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 18:02   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Paint Job

My car has the original black and white paint job from it's former police department, minus the decals. I've had the car for about 6 months now but all of a sudden I'm getting pulled over almost weekly by police telling me I can't have it painted in that color scheme. I can't afford a professional paint job so I was wondering if anyone here has experience/advice with doing it yourself.
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 19:23   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Paint Job

I don't have any experience with painting so I had a friend do mine. I guess it can't be too hard. He did it to repay me for helping him. He paints it and to make it smooth, he sands it with 1500 and 2500 sandpaper. Then buffs it and it looks better than new cars. You could just paint the doors black where they are white or the fenders, hood and trunk whit to match the black. I made mine white from the black and white.
Old 08-29-2010, 19:25   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You could try this too. The Poor Mans Paint Job; How to paint your car for $75.00

There are also youtube videos to show you how.
Old 09-04-2010, 13:19   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Alright, I've almost worked up the nerve to do it. My next question is how do I get all the chrome off of the window openings without breaking it?
Old 09-04-2010, 15:44   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

To remove the upper chrome, you'd have to remove all of the windows from the doors. When I did mine, I just masked them and only rmove the lower chrome. To remove the lower chrome, remove the nut at the rear where the trim sets on the door. You have to open the door to see it. That's all that I removed.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:53   #6 (permalink)

Garage

I think removing windows is over my head; I'll take a look at the bottom chrome later today. I removed that plastic runner that goes the length of the rocker panel and it was loaded with leaves and dirt with peeling paint and rust underneath. The "big plastic piece that holds water and dirt against the car" seems to be a theme of 2000's era ford cars. My girlfriend's '02 Sable has a huge rust problem caused by the plastic decoration piece on the bottom of the doors.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:49   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Even removing windows in the past for repairs, I opted to just tape them off. Let me know what you'll be painting and I can let you know how to remove other items if you want to remove more.
Old 09-05-2010, 14:11   #8 (permalink)

Garage

I figure if I take the plastic runner off the bottom of the rocker panels, the bottom window chrome, and maybe the door handles it should be good enough. Is it worth it to take the rubber off of the front and rear windshields?
Old 09-05-2010, 15:18   #9 (permalink)

Correct me if i'm wrong but you might paint your car with Rustoleum ? If you do make damn sure you never tell the next owner. Rustoleum is fish oil based paint. Why don't you just paint the lower half of the doors black ? I saw your pictures. Nice car.
I've painted many cars. $75.00 in the " poor mans paint job " won't even pay the taxes
if you use the PROPER paint but you will get a FAR BETTER paint job. It's not that hard. You just have to know what your doing. Rustoleum only lasts about 6 months to a year
if your luck and the rust will bleed through again." Read - Read until your eyes bleed " .
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 15:53   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You didn't say what kind of paint you were going to use. The seals on the front and rear glass don't come off. They come with the glass.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71