Part # question on 98 CV - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 20:57   #1 (permalink)

Part # question on 98 CV

Hey guys. I have a question about part numbers.

I went to Fordparts.com and wanted to get a part number for Motorcraft plugs for my 98 CV w/129k miles. I entered my VIN number for an exact match, but my vehicle isnt support (I'm guessing because of her age). That said, how do I know what plug I should put in? When I put in 1998 Ford Crown Vic., I get multiple part numbers.

Secondly, and this sounds ridiculous probably, but I've always driven junk cars (until now). I'm wondering, how do you know when it's time to change shocks? Is there an objective test the dealer can do to test them, or is it simply a question of how does it ride/handle?

Thanks in advance for any help.
98VicCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 22:22   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Part # question on 98 CV

We've always used (double platinum) Autolite APP764 which are replaced by APP104. You can use the (single platinum) AP764 which are replaced by AP104. We've had problems with Bosch and Champion. Make sure you torque them to 11 ft. lbs. Put anti-seize on the threads and dielectric lube on the boots.too.
Old 05-05-2010, 23:09   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm wondering, how do you know when it's time to change shocks? Is there an objective test the dealer can do to test them, or is it simply a question of how does it ride/handle?
Well drivability is the first good clue.
I don't know if this is the proper way to test them, but I've always just bounced the front or back of the car and seen how many times it continued to bounce after I stopped. It shouldn't continue to bounce more than twice if the shocks are good, at least in my experience.

Also if the shocks are covered in shock oil, obviously they're leaking and are probably going to need to be replaced before long, but some minor leaking may be normal.

Of course there is also the recommended replacement interval of 50,000mi, but I've seen shocks long outlast that before needing replaced.

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS ~89,000mi, Willow Green inside and out. It's very green.
1998 Chevrolet Malibu Base V6 187,000mi (sold)
BigMerc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:31   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the swift reply!

Regarding the plugs, I've read that Autolite is actually made by Motorcraft. Is this true? I'm really wanting to put in the car whatever is in there now, as I *use* to get over 27MPG on the interstate.

I did some further checking. I'm inclined to go with Motorcraft parts, but even buying parts online, the prices are so high, its nearly cost-prohibitive.

That said, I'm also looking into a brake job on the front. I've read some good things about the Wagner Premium rotors that O Reileys sells. They're around $80 a rotor (part #BD125514). That, along with their BestBest ceramic pads at $48.99 (part #C748). The rotors come with a lifetime warranty.

Has anyone had any experience with these particular parts or manufacturers?

Thanks again for the assistance.
98VicCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:51   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I forgot too mention the shocks As BigMerc96 said, they do last a long time. Mine have 153k miles and were ridden hard the first 130k as a police car. We'va taken some off to replace with Monroes or gabriels and the old shocks were better. The KYS shocks did make an improvement though. We put them on the new K9 cars when the cars were new.

Your mileage will never be as good as in the oast due to the ethanol now.

I don't know anything about the O'riely parts. We got our parts from Napa. There were some with cross drilled rotors that lasted a lot longer but I retired and don't remember the brand.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71