Passenger blinker blinking too fast and other problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 15:44   #1 (permalink)

Passenger blinker blinking too fast and other problems

Ok, so I failed inspection today for my passenger side blinker, it's blinking too fast. Usually that means a bad or dying bulb, but the bulbs are fine, and I even replaced them with my spares just to make sure it wasn't a weak bulb.

It only does it when I go to make a right hand signal (left turn works just fine). When I turn the hazard lights on, only the LEFT side comes on, the indicator light for a right signal doesn't light up either. However, if I turn the right signal on while the hazard is engaged the right side lights up and syncs with the hazard tempo and doesn't blink at double speed. I tried fiddling with the control stick to see if maybe the switch was acting up, but nothing happened, although I don't know how to actually take it apart and check.

I'm going to rip out the LCM tomorrow and check to make sure all is well on the printed board, and check the soldering to make sure something isn't loose. If anything, there's a place on eBay that'll rebuild the LCM for $99 which is a LOT cheaper than a new unit.

But before I resort to that I want to see if anyone knows what could be causing this.
TheMissing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 16:18   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Passenger blinker blinking too fast and other problems

It's possibly the combination switch. Try spraying electric contact cleaner down around the hazard button and operate the hazards and turn signals. Then see if anything changed.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 19:53   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
It's possibly the combination switch. Try spraying electric contact cleaner down around the hazard button and operate the hazards and turn signals. Then see if anything changed.
I sprayed some down from the top, and wiggled it around, I got the Hazards to function properly, but the left blinker still blinks too fast when I try to use it by itself. I'm going to figure out how to get into the steering column and spray some contact cleaner on the blinker switch.
Old 11-10-2009, 20:45   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's the only way into the switch. Turn the turn signal lever when you spray in there. Did you change all 4 bulbs in the rear? What year and model is your car?
Old 11-10-2009, 20:59   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
That's the only way into the switch. Turn the turn signal lever when you spray in there. Did you change all 4 bulbs in the rear? What year and model is your car?
1996 Grand Marquis GS, I checked all the bulbs, but was only able to replace 2 (that's all I had for spares.)
Old 11-10-2009, 22:24   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Check closely in the rear. There are 2 on each side, if one is out, you'll have a light but fast flash.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:26   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Check closely in the rear. There are 2 on each side, if one is out, you'll have a light but fast flash.
That was it, it's REALLY hard to tell there's 2 bulbs in there with the lenses the way they are, I would have never noticed if you hadn't told me. I had to put the hazards on to compare the two, and the one to the outside is blown.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:30   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You're welcome. Glad you got it fixed. With the 2 bulbs, it fools a lot of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71