Performance Programming - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 18:00   #1 (permalink)

Performance Programming

OK so I need to be getting better MPG and more HP from my 2003 Merc Grand Marquis. What's a good cheap programmer or chip that works that I can get online and buy? Sick of this thing being a dog. It's a V8 for god's sake, it should move like the heavy, metal wind.
Red_Tenneger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 20:32   #2 (permalink)

I got a 95 gm n I was wondering the same thing. The only thing I've seen ppl talk about on here about was some sort of police chip from the police interceptor Vic's ...but I hope someone with more knowledge responds to this post because I'd interested in the same thing.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
95marquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 20:40   #3 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage
Re: Performance Programming

best option is change the rear gear ratios and upgrade the exhaust... online chips will only work to fool the computer making it think it is running cooler than it really is and burn more fuel to attempt to make more power... my 1986 Grand Marquis has dual exhaust with 3.08 rear gears... i wanna upgrade the manifolds to shorty headers connected to an offroad X pipe i have... the gears i wanna change out to 3.55s... my car as it is now gets 25-28mpg and surprises people ... and she aint no dog either... she can romp and stomp... another thing to possibly free up the car is re-pack the front bearings and change out the rear gear oil to royal purple since it flows better in the gears

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 20:52   #4 (permalink)

I was thinking about changing gears just haven't figured out to which gears I should go with. The exhaust I have flow master 40s I'm very happy with.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
95marquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 17:20   #5 (permalink)

I'll be honest, all that gear changing and exhaust tweaking and intake expanding sounds like a lot of money down the hole. I do believe it will provide the results I'm looking for, but I just don't want to invest the time. I'm looking for a quick fix.

Do these Jet programmers work? Is there something comparable for less money? I know the GForce is a bunch of...hooey, but is there a P71 chip that I can slap in the sucker or something of the like?
Red_Tenneger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:40   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

"Speed costs. How fast do you want to go"?
Stroker McGurk, circa 1948-1955
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 14:33   #7 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

you can program all you want in my opinion... if the car is going to be restricted by exhaust and gearing... it wont move the best and reprogramming will need to be redone... you can only program it to do so much with nothing done to the car...

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:46   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Crown Vic is right. You will not notice a significant performance gain without expensive mods to the intake, heads and exhaust. A "tuner is most cost effective after those mods to match your fuel flow curve to the new found airflow numbers. Trick flow heads alone are over $3500 for a 5.4, and you can expect to put over 7 grand into a built 5.4 to make your CV run anywhere near what is considered a performance car. I don't know of any "cheap" performance gains that are significant. Save your money until you can do it right.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71