Platinum +2/+4 sparkplugs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2006, 11:38   #1 (permalink)
- Fernando

Platinum +2/+4 sparkplugs

I've heard contradictory stories about sparkplugs with 2 or more electrodes; so I rather preferred to ask you guys.
Obviously a sparkplug with 2 or more electrodes (Up to four) are a lot more expensive than regular ones plus you don't regap (Spelling) them.
So the question would be if it is indeed true that these sparkplugs give more potency, more engine performance and more gas savings?
I've heard knowleadgeble people stating yes and some others stating this is just a marketing trick b/c of how combustion sparks work.
Please advise.
Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2006, 12:18   #2 (permalink)

Re: Platinum +2/+4 sparkplugs

You MIGHT see a SLIGHT difference with a 2+ plug, but 3 and four are extreme overkill. It's still going to spark in one centralized location, so it's not much of a difference. If anything, you'll show slightly more charge at the tip, which could help ignite the fuel better, but I wouldn't recommend them. I switched around to all the 2, 3, and 4 tip plugs as an experiment and didn't notice and increase in mileage.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 15:12   #3 (permalink)

i would just stick with the copper core spark plug and change the coil to msd with a msd spark controll box 6a thats all you need to get a hot spark to your plugs oh and wire set 8mm
Old 06-17-2006, 17:37   #4 (permalink)

I think he has a 4.6, cabowabo. That would mean he has DIS, which means coil packs. Not as easy to modify. It can be done, but it's a little more costly. The stock ignition is good for 400hp EASY.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 17:58   #5 (permalink)
Wrench Hound

Also, splitting the electrodes can actually cause a decrease in engine performance, the coils actually have to spend more energy to fire the plug. An old trick taught to me by an old time family mechanic, you can actually get a blade type of file and put a narrow, 1/16" long gap (in a type of v shape though not too deep or too wide, then you defeat the purpose) in a normal electrode which in turn allows fuel and air mixture to get "closer" to the spark, in turn slighty better fuel economy and performance. Not a whole lot as to be noticed, but every little bit counts, right?
_JunkY4rdD4wg_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71