Please tell me what to do with this. Please. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2005, 17:41   #1 (permalink)
Crownvic

Please tell me what to do with this. Please.

I am at my wits end with my car and I probably won't think twice about driving it into a wall. I had a variable venturi on my car, and it turns out I wasted a perfectly good carburator for a 2 barrel one that still shows the same problem. I realize the VV wasn't the greatest invention, but my opinion is neither was this car. I'd really hate to get rid of it.

The car runs fine if not fantastic when it's cold, then it gets to a point where it warms up enough and then it feels like the computer shuts off. I have NO power and my mileage suffers alot. The exact same thing happens with a regular 2 barrel carburator. I have to manually shift gears to make it cruise up a hill because flooring it seems to waste alot more gas.

Here's another thing. If I'm at WOT and I turn the key to start, it seems to reset itself and I have all this power and then it goes back into its regular piece of shit mode. Is it my computer? I've already spent $60 and I don't have a job right now and I've already injured myself further over this. What do I do? Is there a test I can perform on the computer? Sensors? ****!
CrownVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2005, 19:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: Please tell me what to do with this. Please.

You sound more frustrated than you need to be. What year and model car do you have? It sounds to me like a 351W-equipped Crown Victoria, so I'll go on that assumption.

The car has plenty of power- the carburetor is the only thing holding it back. It's an older computer system, so the computer isn't going to store all kinds of worthless codes and stuff and need to be "reset" like you're thinking. The reason it starts over is because you're starting with more vacuum when you have the pedal on the floor at start-up. The VV isn't tuned properly, so it's not running on the proper air/fuel mixture and it's losing vacuum as you're driving, which explains the loss of power on uphill climbs.

The VV carbs require massive tuning ability and should therefore be replaced ASAP. Ditch it for a 4bbl Edelbrock or even a Holley. You should be able to get a used Holley at a legitimate price and it's not incredibly hard to learn to tune them, if your budget doesn't allow for an Edelbrock. I hate to say it, but you're going to be stuck until you ditch the VV for something better or you learn how to tune them just right... which requires very precise drilling and such.

Keep in mind that I'm no expert. Give me your year, model, and engine and I can try to be more accurate.
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 19:59   #3 (permalink)

OKay- just checked your profile and found that you're rolling a 1982 Crown Victoria. I'd say I'm dead-on with my diagnosis, but again, I'm no professional.
Old 09-17-2005, 23:23   #4 (permalink)
Crownvic

I'm fine now. The girlfriend calmed me down with gentle talking. I blow up at the stupidest things way too often.

Yes it's a 1982 Crown Victoria with a 351W, but it doesn't have the VV on it anymore. It's got a motocraft 2 barrel but it's still doing the same thing. What I mean by "reseting", is that I will drive and turn the key back to the start position and let it go and THEN the car will behave normally for maybe 3 seconds before it goes back to what I know feels like the computer is unplugged. (I've run it unplugged, so I know the feeling.)

I suspected a vaccuum problem too, but no, everything is in order. One thing I didn't check was the O2 sensor. That might be the problem because someone told me this evening that if it's not working, the computer will shut down or just act stupid. Regardless, I do have a 4 bbl Edelbrock and all I need is an intake, but I can already tell it'll not work because even with a plain jane 2 bbl, the problem still persists. This is what is bothering me so much.

See if you think about it, I'm guessing my O2 sensor is a heated type. I have never had a car this old using an O2 sensor or a computer. They've either been EFI or balls to the wall carburator. The car, when it is cold, will run really good until *something* warms up and sets the computer off. Does that make sense to you? I'm not a professional either, but this just seems to NOT be a variable venturi problem.

The more minds I can get on it, the better I'll think about it.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:39   #5 (permalink)
That guy

Hmmm, take you distributor cap off, then wiggle the rotor, if it has allot of play then thats your prob, if not, you may have the wrong thermostat in you car. I really suggest putting a $10 160 degree one in it, it'll make the car run smoother. It might have that stupid 185 or even the stupier 192 degree stat in it. The reason for those is the hotter the engine runs the more the emissions stuff stops the toxens, but will kill milage. Also, make sure the motor isn't over heating, if you hover you hand over the carb after running it for a while and it feels like an open oven, somethings wrong. Also, if when your going up a steep hill and the car feels powerless, then your fuel bowls are set worng and starving the suction injectors of gas. I hate 2bbl motorcrafts for that crap.

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 13:48   #6 (permalink)
Crownvic

No no, please listen. It's a computer problem someplace. The thermostat is fine, the distributor is fine. The car fine until it feels like someone unplugs the computer under the hood. I have run the car cold to operating temp with the computer unplugged the whole time, and it ran awful the entire time. Today I ran the car from cold to operating temp with the computer plugged in, and it ran great until something warmed up and caused the computer to switch off. It's going to a garage to get looked at at the generosity of someone that's as curious about this problem as I am.
Old 09-18-2005, 20:25   #7 (permalink)
That guy

Wait, what parts of the computer did you unplug? How could the car run if you unpluged the computer in witch tells it to spark the ignition? There are 2 plugs that connect your CDI that is over on the drivers side fender. If you unplug the computer then your car can't run, well, atleast none of mine do over here when the computer is unpluged. Your sure you unpluged the computer and not the emissions brain?

Old 09-18-2005, 20:56   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel
Wait, what parts of the computer did you unplug? How could the car run if you unpluged the computer in witch tells it to spark the ignition? There are 2 plugs that connect your CDI that is over on the drivers side fender. If you unplug the computer then your car can't run, well, atleast none of mine do over here when the computer is unpluged. Your sure you unpluged the computer and not the emissions brain?
The computer controlled very little back then. If anything, it controlled slight amounts of fuel adjustment when reading the O2 sensor and things of that sort.

Remove your O2 sensor, burn the tip with an acetylene torch, and it'll be as good as new- just be careful to not melt the wires. Don't hold the flame to it more than 2-3 seconds at a time and allow a few seconds to cool between flashes. If you drove with the timing off, it'll have lots of carbon build-up on the sensor, which will cause craziness (mine wouldn't drop below 210 degrees, so I went through everything. Finally cleaned the O2 sensors and it ran fine).

If you get it professionally diagnosed, let us know what's the problem- I'm extremely curious about it, as well!
Old 09-18-2005, 21:02   #9 (permalink)
Crownvic

BluSteel: It's an 82, not a 92. Like meatboy said, it controls very little. I think it controls a stepper motor inside the carburator for things like idle, cruise and WOT. I'm thinking it's the O2 sensors which probably does something to the timing. I don't know. I don't think I have the resources here to pull it out. I'll let you know what it is when I find out.

The 351 has power. It does. I've ruined a new tire on the passenger side from it. Just right now it's not happy.
Old 09-18-2005, 22:09   #10 (permalink)
That guy

Okay, the CDI is your engine control, last I was told your 351W isn't running points or a magneto. The O2s tell the brain how much oxygen is left in the unbernt or partly burnt exhaust, it does nothing with timing. When your motor is starting it runs on open loop witch means it does not use the O2s till it warms up, then it goes to closed loop witch uses the O2s. As for the acetylene idea? Are you nuts? That destroys the sensor..... You know how hot that is? You know how lean your motor has to be right now? You use kerosen with a brush, acetylene will coat the diode with crap to the point it won't even register with the brain. Your brain controls your ignition and timing. If it was unhooked then you motor will not run, that goes for 1973 to present engine from the inline 4s to the big blocks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71