Pls Help Bad Misfire - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 23:35   #1 (permalink)

Pls Help Bad Misfire

well i thought it would be a good idea to change the spark plugs on my 1999 cvpi well i was wrong cuz after that i started to get a misfire with no code at all lol but i was wondering do the motorcraft spark plugs come pre-gaped also i changed 3 coil packs and it started to get a little better do you think i should change all coil packs
XxFordForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 00:10   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Pls Help Bad Misfire

Could you have possibly cracked the insulator or one of the plugs? I did a few weeks ago, and never knew it till I pulled them back out. Will look like a pencil mark on the porcelain.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 00:24   #3 (permalink)

well see the funny thing is it only misfires at low rpms and sometimes at idle ive double checked for cracks and bad boots everything looks fine and i had a fuel injector flush and fuel pressure check so im guessing coils maybe??? its weird that it acts like this as soon as i changed the plugs
Old 02-20-2010, 00:29   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

RTG, the moderator for this section, will be in here tomorrow morning. He will be able to offer you more help than I can.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 00:36   #5 (permalink)

thank you for being so fast on replying....how sure are you that he will reply cuz im so frustrasted
Old 02-20-2010, 07:43   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The best thing to do is start over. Pull all the plugs, check the gaps, look at the plugs to make sure none are cracked, check th coil pack boots to make sure none are damaged. Did you blow out the holes before removing the plugs to make sure to clean anything out that might have gotten around the plugs? Make sure you torque them to the proper specs. Too tight and when the aluminum head expands, it'll pull the threads out. Too lose and they can loosen and blow out. Spark plugs are usually gapped closeat the factory but can be dropped in shipping and change the gap.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:46   #7 (permalink)

Now that I think about it there was a lot of dirt in the wells so monday I'mma redo my work and see what happens thx for taking the time and replying I will keep you guys updated
Old 02-20-2010, 11:58   #8 (permalink)

let me start over cuz i havent been completely honest ok well my car was running prefectly fine but i decided to stop at this shop and get my spark plugs changed and fuel filter well turns out the hose thats right beside the well in the back left goin into the intake manifold was cracked so he cleaned the antifreeze that got into the well and put new spark plugs in it idled fine untill later that day so i stopped by the transmission shop and asked him he said maybe the boots cuz that other shop didnt change them so he took off the coils and noticed the leak and said thats bad so i got the intake manifold replaced with a new one and he changed the coil that had antifreeze in it and the misfire still persists now im confused so imma take the plugs out and check them
Old 02-20-2010, 18:16   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The shops that did the work should be told what happened and repair what they might have messed up.At least talk to the shops and tell them what's happened. Give them a chance to correct what they'd be responsible for.
Old 02-20-2010, 18:43   #10 (permalink)

i shouldve took it back immediately after it started happening but i was dumb and took it to the other shop but hey i got one thing good out of it a almost brand new intake manifold put in for only 350 with new coil but the bad thing is i cant do n e thing till monday im pretty sure its the spark plugs now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71