Police Motor ID? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 07:21   #1 (permalink)

Police Motor ID?

Howdy all, New here. I just bought a 99 Grand Marquis that the dealer told me has had a Police Interceptor motor(year unkown) installed by a speed shop. I would have bought the car anyway but the motor thing is interesting. Apparently the car has the handling package with a 3.27 gear, no traction loc. Its alot quicker than the older CV I had years ago. My question is how can I positively ID this motor? I'm aware of the performance improved heads and manifold but as yet have found no articles online that will help me tell exactly what I have here, since the year of the motor may not be the same as the year of the car. Any help would be appreciated. because no mods can happen til I know where I'm starting from.
mojo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2009, 07:07   #2 (permalink)

Re: Police Motor ID?

there is no difference between a police car engine and your old engine .They are exacly the same motor .
Stick462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:44   #3 (permalink)

I realize that except for the oil cooler there is no difference(and as yet I don't even know whether that is functional or bypassed). My concern is that since the motor has been changed and so far I have not found the engine sticker I do not know exactly what year motor this is. For example if its from an older car it won't have the PI heads. If its newer it would. I don't want to invest in PI heads and manifold if it already has them. Since this car has some GO when you hit the pedal I'm kinda hoping it already has the PI heads. I was wondering if there are any telltale signs to help ID if these are PI heads. Bolt bosses(like in a SM Chevy), casting numbers and location or other significant and relevant outward appearances. Short of yanking the intake manifold to take a peek at the ports what else should I look for? Thanks for the input.
Old 01-22-2009, 14:30   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo46 View Post
I realize that except for the oil cooler there is no difference(and as yet I don't even know whether that is functional or bypassed). My concern is that since the motor has been changed and so far I have not found the engine sticker I do not know exactly what year motor this is. For example if its from an older car it won't have the PI heads. If its newer it would. I don't want to invest in PI heads and manifold if it already has them. Since this car has some GO when you hit the pedal I'm kinda hoping it already has the PI heads. I was wondering if there are any telltale signs to help ID if these are PI heads. Bolt bosses(like in a SM Chevy), casting numbers and location or other significant and relevant outward appearances. Short of yanking the intake manifold to take a peek at the ports what else should I look for? Thanks for the input.
Just look at the depth of the intake manifold in the vally. A PI manifold will almost touch the center of the block, a NPI will not be very close to touching. Aside from the build date on the driver side valve cover, thats about it. Other identifiers are too difficult to get to.

00' Crown Vic Police Interceptor (P71) w/Steet apperance package, 104K

91' Lincoln Town Car - Executive Series, 3.27's, Nice Leather Interior, 106K
Fordiesel69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 14:45   #5 (permalink)

Fordiesel69, Thanks much. Something to go on! Since I also have a 00 Mustang GT it should be easy to compare them side by side. Some might ask WHY am I going to hotrod the Marq when I have a stang? Cuz its an old man's car and nowadays I'm an old man. I want some cushy for my tushy but some meddle under the pedal. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71