Power Steering Leak from Pitman Arm. HELP! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 20:12   #1 (permalink)

Power Steering Leak from Pitman Arm. HELP!

I posted this once but never saw the thread so i'm gonna give this another try.

1992 Merc Grand Marquis LS w/ Tow

It has been leaking (sometimes heavily) power steering fluid directly from the pitman arm. The entire pump was replaced due to a bad diagnosis from my friend the "mechanic". lol.

Just this week I completely drained the power steering fluid and refilled it with some Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak and some regular fluid. Problem remains the same.

Is this something I can fix myself? It's a 92 so it's not in my best interest to dump a bunch of money into it but I love this car.

Should I try adding more stop leak fluid?

Also, i'm not sure if this problem is fixed yet but over time, maybe a couple weeks, I have to raise the car and bleed the lines because they are dry for some reason. Could it be a clog in my line that is causing fluid to come out of the pitman arm? This is why the pump was replaced originally.

I'm at a loss here. Any help or information is appreciated!

Thanks!
MattJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2006, 21:59   #2 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

Re: Power Steering Leak from Pitman Arm. HELP!

I haven't ever heard of this problem! Get a Haynes manual from Autozone or Advance,it should help you on the diagnosis and of course it's something you can fix yourself if you are mechanically inclined at all. Good Luck and keep us posted
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 22:17   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoder
I haven't ever heard of this problem! Get a Haynes manual from Autozone or Advance,it should help you on the diagnosis and of course it's something you can fix yourself if you are mechanically inclined at all. Good Luck and keep us posted
Its usually the seal on the pitman shaft , should be possible to replace quite easily but you will need a manual
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 22:25   #4 (permalink)
Unregistered

I looked around on the parts store website and found some seal kits that are pretty cheap..

"Steering Gear Pitman Shaft Seal Kit"

Not quite sure if this is what I need. Anyone have experience doing this and can tell me if its worse than living with the leak?
Old 03-02-2006, 22:25   #5 (permalink)

I looked around on the parts store website and found some seal kits that are pretty cheap..

"Steering Gear Pitman Shaft Seal Kit"

Not quite sure if this is what I need. Anyone have experience doing this and can tell me if its worse than living with the leak?
MattJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71