Ford Forums banner

Propane Power

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  atec77 
#1 ·
Does anyone on here have a propane powered CV or GM? I had a friend whos dad had an old ford pickup that ran on propane in the '70s and it seemed to work fine and save him money in fuel costs.

Just wandering how much it would cost to outweigh the price of gasoline, I checked local prices and it seems to be about $1.90 a gallon, and I think you get a tax credit as well.

#2 ·
Parkermms,

I have not seen any CVs around running propane. In this country you see that mostly in industry with fleet/company vehicles. Maybe you can find one being sold off from a company's fleet. I have noticed that propane is much more popular in Australia for personal vehicles. (I am on an e-mail list for Australian Falcon Coupes and it comes up regularly.) Good luck with your search.

#3 ·
Like lwblumjr said the propane vics where trade/industry orriented. I have only seen them in New York City because the taxi and limo commision allowed owners to keep there taxi on the road for 3 years more than those vehicles that only ran on gasoline. My cab company had one, the tank occupies the whole area where the spare tire goes. I never got to drive it on propane because it had all been disconnected b4 we got it. And it was totaled a year ago.

#4 ·
parkermms said:
Does anyone on here have a propane powered CV or GM? I had a friend whos dad had an old ford pickup that ran on propane in the '70s and it seemed to work fine and save him money in fuel costs.

Just wandering how much it would cost to outweigh the price of gasoline, I checked local prices and it seems to be about $1.90 a gallon, and I think you get a tax credit as well.
It is the best fuel , unless your motor is worn it will run cleaner and but with a little work , dedicated lpg motors are very popular here in Australia , petrol ( gas) is about $5.00 a gallon , lpd/ propane blend is about $2.00 a gallon and with some tuning lpg uses around 10% more fual and slightly less power on a dual fule but when optimised will return more power and be claener on lpg
see the link and feel free to ask questions http://www.gogas.com.au/site/page/15/lang/en
good luck / ( ues I own several cars on lpg and would not go back to pure petrol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.