Ford Forums banner

Pulled codes...which are worrisome?

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
After having my Ranger totaled by a kid who ran a red light on April 1st, I decided to pull the car that my grandmother gave me out of storage and drive it. I went through a handful of regular maintenance, plugs, wires, stuff like that. I've been driving it ever since but the car just doesn't seem that happy. Starts kinda rough, sometimes it stalls when I'm sitting at a light, shifts kinda rough. I love this car, it's a 93 with 109k on the 4.6. My grandad took great care of it until he passed. Anyways, I did koeo tests today just to see what's come up since i started driving it. here are the codes in order:
KOEO: 335
Continuous Memory:
I looked in my chilton but it just gives a definition of the codes, which for me isn't a whole lot of a clue what they really mean. I do know a bit, and would consider myself handy, but this car is a lot different than my 4cyl manual trans no options ranger was. Any idea, opinions, help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Art

#2 ·
Go here for a description of the codes

https://www.scribd.com/doc/34996350/Ford-OBD1-Codes-and-Procedure

Code 326 is DPFE circuit voltage is low. This is part of the EGR system and is a common failure part.

Code 172 is System Lean on right side, which means that the O2 sensor is reading that the right bank of cylinders is reading a lean air/fuel ratio. Could be the sensor is bad, damaged or clogged. It will also cause the pcm to add fuel to try to correct the lean condition. Could be why it is stalling.

Code 556 is indicating a fuel pump circuit failure. Could be corrosion at the connector, or the pump could be on its way out.

Code 656 is Converter Clutch Control Continuous slippage detected. I would check the condition and the level of the transmission fluid, top off if necessary. Follow the proper procedure to check the fluid level. Will cause shifting problems.

Code 335 is DPFE Sensor voltage is out of self test range. Part of the EGR system and a common failure part. Usually a cheap part and easy to change out. It is mounted in some way, usually just two small screws, there are two vacuum lines and one connector. Just be careful with the vacuum lines as they are most likely brittle, they may even need to be replaced.

#3 ·
Thank you so very much, this is exactly what I wanted to know.

What is the DPFE sensor? I have called around to the local parts stores and nobody seems to know what it is. One guy seemed like he knew and quoted me around $60 fo the part, but also went on to say that there were two different ones and he didn't know which one I needed and that I should bring the part in to match up...kinda hard since I have no clue what it looks like or where it is. My repair manual doesn't mention it.

Is is possible that the O2 sensor threw a code when I first pulled it out of storage from old gas?

The car is 24 years old, wouldn't surprise me if the fuel pump was getting ready to give up. Luckily it mounts in the side of the tank, not the top.

I went ahead and changed the trans filter, and added some fresh fluid. Fingers crossed that I don't get that torque converter code again.

#4 ·
Couple of suggested locations

" Mine on the 99 is floating between the firewall and the passenger side cylider head. It's hidden by the bracket holding it in place, that bracket is bolted to the cylinder head. "

" you may have to remove the intake to get at it. On the pre-97 cars it is bolted to rear of the passenger side head...not on the firewall."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.