Pump and lock air ride ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 19:47   #1 (permalink)

Question Pump and lock air ride ?

Pumps noisy , bags are not leaking . Anyone know if I conld install a shrader valve near the air ride pump to fix it at a level ride height . I get an uncomfortable sense of vertigo in a car that stays level up and down hills . I don't think it great for cornering in upper position .......
victripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 08:19   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Pump and lock air ride ?

A Schrader valve will not work because valves on the bags "bleed" off and add air to keep the ride height constant. The pumps are noisy, but do not run often enough to be a bother unless there's a leak.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 21:34   #3 (permalink)

Any way of plugging the bleed off valves in the bags ? Only get leaks in bags right ? Ever leak around pump ?
victripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:04   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

I have owned four air spring equipped Panther cars, one for almost 20 years and 400,000 miles. I have never seen a leak anyplace other than in the air springs (bags), although I'm sure it's possible.

The valve can be removed from the air spring, but it would requires some fabrication to get a Schrader valve to fit. I think that it would be easier to replace the air springs with an Air Ride or Firestone bag, or steel coil springs.

Regardless of which you use, no air springs are air tight, and you would want to install a remote fill valve to avoid crawling under the car to check pressure and to inflate the air springs.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:49   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

I don't think it would be worth trying to modify the system. Either add weight to trunk wait for bags to level with the load then shut off system and remove the weight or replace airbags with springs as already mentioned

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:55   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

You can accomplish the same thing by adjusting the sensor arm (located above the axle). Just be very careful about working under an air spring car; use jack stands for sure.

Using your idea, the system will sense when you remove the weight and bleed off air, returning back to the same pressure and ride height as before adding the weight. If you shut the system off, the bags will just bleed air and not pump back up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71