Ford Forums banner

Putting 15" snow tires on a '00 GM

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried this, but I have a set of P225-75R15 studded snow tires, and am interested to see if I can get them to mount on my '00 GM, that takes P225-60R16" tires. I have found this neat website called "miata.net" tire size calculator, and you can put in the 'stock' tire, then put in the 'new' tire, and it will show the difference in diameter, plus what your speedometer will show with the difference.

I have punched in both tire sizes, and ironically, the 15" tire is bigger in diameter-a whole 1.7" taller! That will slow the speedometer down by 3.7 mph, so if the speedo says 60, I'll actually be doing 63.7. This is a really neat site!

Anyway, the two questions I have, is can I get a 15" rim, that will fit the bolt pattern of the '00 GM, and my snow tires will then fit on the car (and clear the rotors/calipers, etc.), and also what kind of OBDII connector tool would I need to re calibrate the speedo? If it will cost an arm, and a leg, then I'll just live with it. I'll only be using the snows when the weather is really nasty, as the wife is driving a long distance to work right now. These snow tires, along with the traction control, and ABS, should make this car almost unstoppable! At the very least, I hope it will keep the wife out of the ditch/median of the tollway!

Thanks,
John

See less See more
#3 ·
So, what you are saying, is that there isn't ANY 15" wheel with the same bolt pattern, that will clear the calipers? I know most people go bigger, but I've had these snows for years in my attic, and I used them on an old Pontiac wagon I had. All I know is, if you're on ice, you can stop the car, just like your NOT on ice! I love the studded part! Talk about traction!

John

#4 ·
I just got off the phone with Wheels America, and the guy there said that if the car has dual-piston calipers, then chances are 15" wheels won't fit, due to the height of the calipers. So, the question is, how many pistons are on the calipers?

John

#6 ·
Well, going by that, do you know of anywhere I can find a set of cheap steel wheels, so I may buy some dedicated snow tires?

I'm looking at some on Tire Rack.com. I'm liking the Firesone Winterforce, as I think that is what I have up in my attic now.

John

#7 ·
I knew someone on here sent me a link for the "car part" website, so I was looking back at my threads/posts. Then I found it, on one of the first threads I started on here, asking the same damn question. So, sorry, my bad! I just have this '94 Roadmaster that I'm looking at on the mind, and I'm not thinking straight!

I'm on that website now, looking up used wheels. I'm also on tirerack.com, looking up dedicated snow tires for the car.

Sorry,
John

#10 ·
Just as an 'end' to this, I did end up buying dedicated snow tires for the car, and having them put on my 'stock' rims. I saved the old tires, and will get something that looks like a Maurader rim, and mount those tires on there. I was going to get the General Arctic snows, but ALL the warehouses ran out of them, when I was in the tire store to put down the deposit! So, I had to settle for my second choice, which is the Firestone Winterforce. Just got them put on today, and the car rides nice. Was doing 80, and didn't even realize it! Hopefully, this will keep the wife out of the ditch this winter! They have a very aggressive tread pattern, and are directional (I've never owned directional tires before). So, with these tires, and the traction control, the wife BETTER stay on the road! Because of the TC, I decided against buying that Roadmaster wagon, and also because I'm sure the LT-1 won't get the 24 mpg's the GM is currently getting.

I will probably post something on the other thread I started, but I had the tire shop look at the squeaking noise coming from the front end, and he said that both lower ball joints are at the 'squeaking' stage, but not loose yet. So, I'm just going to go ahead and replace ALL of them at once, with ones with GREASE FITTINGS! Now, my buddy was saying that with some of these cars, you had to also replace the upper control arms, if the ball joints were never replaced before. Is this true? Either way, I'm buying the parts from Rock Auto, as even with the shipping charges, they are almost $100.00 cheaper than O'Reillys! Plus, with O'Reilly's, I have to include sales tax!

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.